Italy to Spain - route advice please

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Italy to Spain - route advice please

Post by mnichols »

I'm planning my tours for next year, and one that I would like to do in September would be something like: Pisa or Turin to Southern Spain probably Barcelona. This would be one week unsupported.

My start and end points are based on cheap and direct flights from Bristol, and it's a sort of coast to coast of the South of France without sticking slavishly to the sea if the inland routes are better or more interesting

Any views on whether Turin or Pisa has the better route to Monte Carlo?

Between Antibes and the Pyrenees it would all be new so would love some route advice for this part of the trip. Quite keen to do some of the big named places Cannes, St Tropez, Marseilles, etc - where else?

Shame Ventoux is so far north
ANTONISH

Re: Italy to Spain - route advice please

Post by ANTONISH »

If you are intent on visiting the coastal cities you mention I suspect you are going to be riding on busy roads most of the way.
I would be looking to go further North over an Alpine climb or two and make my way to Avignon or thereabouts and then head south.
As you have only seven days you need to consider your route carefully. Try roughing out your route in Google maps set for cycling - not ideal but it will give you some clue as to a schedule.
mnichols

Re: Italy to Spain - route advice please

Post by mnichols »

ANTONISH wrote:If you are intent on visiting the coastal cities you mention I suspect you are going to be riding on busy roads most of the way.
I would be looking to go further North over an Alpine climb or two and make my way to Avignon or thereabouts and then head south.
As you have only seven days you need to consider your route carefully. Try roughing out your route in Google maps set for cycling - not ideal but it will give you some clue as to a schedule.

Hi Antonish, I would rather be on quiet scenic roads than main roads.

I've done the road from San Remo to Antibes and that was ok. I have no knowledge of the roads then until the Pyrenees, so grateful for any advice