Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - Route Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
caitlinr17

Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - Route Advice

Post by caitlinr17 »

I'm currently planning a cycle tour from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, then on to Vientiane. I was wondering if anyone could offer any route advice if they have cycled this route before? I am hoping to avoid the slow river boat if possible (I've heard it's a fairly expensive and tedious experience) and would prefer to spend rest days elsewhere! I was also wondering what people would recommend for accommodation, I've heard very mixed things about camping in Laos. it would be great to be able to go without camping equipment but obviously if I don't want to get stuck without somewhere to stay.

Hope someone has some advice for me, this is my first major tour and any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you :D
Warin61

Re: Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - Route Advice

Post by Warin61 »

I would not camp. Camping is seldom done, you will have lots of curious youngsters looking in. Lodging is cheap. If pushed .. just ask a householder - they would welcome some income but may be local laws are against it. Take your own towel for the bicycle .. they will charge you if there is the faintest suggestion that you have used their towel for cleaning/drying the bicycle.
You may find some routes on Strava.
Note: some do camp - https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... ld-in-laos
simonhill

Re: Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang - Route Advice

Post by simonhill »

I've spent months cycling in Lao and never camped. I've always found a GH to stay in. Just plan your route to end in a small town or where there is known accommodation. Furthermore camping is not advised,. Lao is one of the most heavily bombed countries on earth and there are plenty of UXOs in certain areas.

Re your route, it's hard to advise without knowing more info. Timescale, difficulty, etc. From what you say I guess you want to cross via Huay Xai in Lao. I think I have cycled at least 4 very different routes from CM to HX.

Look at routes:
Via Fang, Mai Sot(or Mai Sai, can't remember) and along Mekong - longest but varied. If river (not Mekong) is high you can get boat from N of Fang to Chiang Rai to make it shorter.
Or, direct by main road route via Chiang Rai.
Or via Phayao- this is a good route. I really like Phayao, especially weekend night market (food).

If you look on Google maps you can get a terrain view that shows how difficult.

In Lao I have taken the slow boat 1½ times and enjoyed it. It is a bit of a backpacker circus now, but it is a different way to see some of the country - river folk and their way of life. It wasn't expensive when I did it.

If you don't take the boat, then ride N to Luang Nam Tha, then Udomxai, then down to LP on H13.

A compromise would be boat to Pakbeng then ride up to Udomxai -nice route.

The ride from LP to Vientiane starts with 2 big 1,000m climbs, then plateau then downhill. From Vang Vieng it's pretty flat.

I'm pretty sure there will be loads of stuff on crazyguonabike, it's a very well travelled route. Also, there's nothing better than sitting down with good map and maybe guidebooks ( buy or borrow from library) and working out a route.

I'm on tour at moment with dodgy internet, so only limited reply. When are you off?