La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Welshrobby

La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Post by Welshrobby »

My husband and I are planning to cycle La Velodyssee next June and will get ferry To Roscoff and cycle down to Hendaye. We then need to get to Santander for the ferry back . We thought we would cycle it and wondered if any one has done this Camping on way. Is a doable route for pensioners? We did cycle the Rhône valley all the way last summer. We always camp and carry everything in 2 panniers each.
newbootclimbco

Re: La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Post by newbootclimbco »

I was supposed to be doing this trip starting last September, but my mate a heart problems so we had to cancel. we intended to catch the small ferry to Como across from Santander then follow the coast up to Hendaye etc. Check out my post in Touring, Expedition ,Cycle return to cherborge from Santander. Theres loads of info ,check out route by, davidgalloway dated 12 july. I intend to try again in May 2018 ferry already booked etc. Anyone interested ?. PS i'm 66 also a pensioner. good luck.
climo

Post by climo »

train.
climo

Post by climo »

should have added https://www.seat61.com/
We, like many, took the train from San Sebastian to Hendaye. Cheap & easy. No direct experience of the train from San Seb east but I can't see why not though it might have to be a local train.
robing

Post by robing »

I've cycled through the Basque country a couple of times. Hendaye to San Sebastián and Vitoria was ok, but navigation can be tricky here. The other time I went from San Sebastian to Besain and the navigation was such a nightmare that I took the train! (The only time I've done this cycle touring!)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Welshrobby wrote:My husband and I are planning to cycle La Velodyssee next June and will get ferry To Roscoff and cycle down to Hendaye. We then need to get to Santander for the ferry back . We thought we would cycle it and wondered if any one has done this Camping on way. Is a doable route for pensioners? We did cycle the Rhône valley all the way last summer. We always camp and carry everything in 2 panniers each.

The way I have used the last twice is to keep to the coast road at Hendaye and cross the border at the first point. It is by a filling station. Join the dual carriageway (not the motorway) which is straight-ahead shortly after the border. This is a wide road with a good shoulder to cycle on. You then climb up and eventually get to where the road enters a tunnel. Do not enter the tunnel, take the small road to the right it will take you through the villages and into San Sebastian. As an alternative, once across the border take the road on the right to the airfield and then follow a pretty route through the hills into SS.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Just completed it in reverse www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sancher
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

Hi,
A bit late to the party, but I did this in reverse a few years ago. I caught the train from San Sebastian to Hendaye because I was under a bit of pressure for time. I was glad that I did because it was quite hilly and the views from the comfortable train were very nice! :-). No problem bringing a fully loaded bike on the train.

As for the rest of the way to Santander, I pretty much followed my nose along the coast. Northern Spain is fantastic for cycling. Quiet roads (lots of traffic take the new motorways), lots of respect from the traffic that does pass you by. Very friendly people (although I thought the Basques were a little more direct than elsewhere). Great campsites, often with fantastic views over the sea and with some fantastic restaurants attached.

But.....! It is hilly! There's a lot of constant ups and downs and depending on the time of year it can be hot! But don't let that put you off. Plenty of stops, lots of water & it'll be fine.

As far as I know there is not an issue catching a bus and putting your bike in the luggage section if you find yourselves under pressure for time.

Enjoy!

Frank

P.S. The velodyssey is fantastic!
Puny but determined

Post by Puny but determined »

This isn't exactly a reply - more a 'reactivation' . We have booked the ferries to do the same thing (also in June) and cycling north to south. Found out quite a bit about the little train going from Hendaye to Santander , would prefer to cycle but don't fancy dual carriageways or the Pyrenees. How is your research going? Found any good routes?
teamonster

Post by teamonster »

I'm possibly doing the other way in May, but having looked at Bikepacker's very helpful posts and played around on google maps. I think I'm going to do the dual carriage way as you really are not on it for that long. There is an alternative going on smaller road to the north, which again looks do-able but it is a slow climb up then long descent. If I go in May will report back on how scary the dual carriageway was.
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

Welshrobby wrote:My husband and I are planning to cycle La Velodyssee next June and will get ferry To Roscoff and cycle down to Hendaye. We then need to get to Santander for the ferry back . We thought we would cycle it and wondered if any one has done this Camping on way. Is a doable route for pensioners? We did cycle the Rhône valley all the way last summer. We always camp and carry everything in 2 panniers each.

As a pensioner I did this route last year camping all the way. Although I did start as St Malo as I wanted to see Mont San Michael it is a great route with a lot of dedicated cycle paths. I found lots of places to camp if you have the La Velodyssee guide to La Cote Atlantique a Velo you will have most of the information you need. I used an App on my phone “Off line cycle routes” which kept me on the right track at the occasional confusing junctions.

Having got down to Hendaye I hadn’t planned my return so decided to head to Bilbao I didn’t fancy cycling from Irun across the Pyrenees ended up taking a train to Miranda and picking quieter roads to cycle across the hills. Having had the luxury of so much dedicated cycle route in France and then rural roads across the hills in Spain the approaching roads close to Bilbao seemed horrendous to cycle on even though you are allowed on them with your bike. So I was delighted to be able to take my bike on the ‘local’ trains to complete the last 20k or so.

I was surprised that space on the ferry was limited by the restriction of the availability of cabins. So you do need to book ahead.

Do take time to walk up Dune Pilat I left my bike with all my gear on it in the racks outside the Tourist Office there, without any problems.

I am Planning this year to cycle Eurovelo 6 to the Black Sea so any advice on getting home would be welcome!

I am sure you will have a wonderful trip.

All the best

Peter
Puny but determined

Post by Puny but determined »

Of those who have done it: did you stick to the CA small roads and hug the coast as far as possible? There seems to be no choice but to join the N634 at pinch points, how was that? Any idea how many miles you did between Santander/Bilbao, Bilbao/San Sebastian if you wiggled along these tiny roads? Was there anywhere to stay in these areas? I've Googled my eyes out with this!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Purely from memory it is about 65 miles from Santander to the transporter bridge just north of Bilbao. From there to SS it about 80 miles.

Don’t know where you mean regarding the pinch points. If you follow the coast roads you don’t meet any.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Any information about train services late September ? Are the the same or seasonal.
Thanks.