La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Welshrobby

La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Postby Welshrobby » 22 Nov 2017, 9:24pm

My husband and I are planning to cycle La Velodyssee next June and will get ferry To Roscoff and cycle down to Hendaye. We then need to get to Santander for the ferry back . We thought we would cycle it and wondered if any one has done this Camping on way. Is a doable route for pensioners? We did cycle the Rhône valley all the way last summer. We always camp and carry everything in 2 panniers each.

newbootclimbco

Re: La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Postby newbootclimbco » 24 Nov 2017, 8:08am

I was supposed to be doing this trip starting last September, but my mate a heart problems so we had to cancel. we intended to catch the small ferry to Como across from Santander then follow the coast up to Hendaye etc. Check out my post in Touring, Expedition ,Cycle return to cherborge from Santander. Theres loads of info ,check out route by, davidgalloway dated 12 july. I intend to try again in May 2018 ferry already booked etc. Anyone interested ?. PS i'm 66 also a pensioner. good luck.

climo

Postby climo » 30 Nov 2017, 9:49pm

train.

climo

Postby climo » 30 Nov 2017, 9:55pm

should have added https://www.seat61.com/
We, like many, took the train from San Sebastian to Hendaye. Cheap & easy. No direct experience of the train from San Seb east but I can't see why not though it might have to be a local train.

robing

Postby robing » 2 Dec 2017, 7:51am

I've cycled through the Basque country a couple of times. Hendaye to San Sebastián and Vitoria was ok, but navigation can be tricky here. The other time I went from San Sebastian to Besain and the navigation was such a nightmare that I took the train! (The only time I've done this cycle touring!)

bikepacker

Postby bikepacker » 2 Dec 2017, 11:51am

Welshrobby wrote:My husband and I are planning to cycle La Velodyssee next June and will get ferry To Roscoff and cycle down to Hendaye. We then need to get to Santander for the ferry back . We thought we would cycle it and wondered if any one has done this Camping on way. Is a doable route for pensioners? We did cycle the Rhône valley all the way last summer. We always camp and carry everything in 2 panniers each.

The way I have used the last twice is to keep to the coast road at Hendaye and cross the border at the first point. It is by a filling station. Join the dual carriageway (not the motorway) which is straight-ahead shortly after the border. This is a wide road with a good shoulder to cycle on. You then climb up and eventually get to where the road enters a tunnel. Do not enter the tunnel, take the small road to the right it will take you through the villages and into San Sebastian. As an alternative, once across the border take the road on the right to the airfield and then follow a pretty route through the hills into SS.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".

albal1

Postby albal1 » 3 Dec 2017, 9:36pm

Just completed it in reverse www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/sancher