La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Astrobike

Re: La velodyssee getting from Hendaye to Santander on bikes?

Postby Astrobike » 14 Aug 2019, 4:04pm

You can catch a small ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia across the estuary for 3 to 4 euros saves trecking
Round by the air port and avoides the worst of the traffic/ tunnels and there is a nice campsite on the cliff top
For 15 euros a night much cheaper than the campsites in France .
Image Attachments
image.jpeg

b1ke

Postby b1ke » 15 Aug 2019, 8:41am

There's an electric regional railway that runs across the north coast of Spain, starting in Hendaye. Not the fastest, but if you're not in a rush, worth considering. I've caught it west of Santander and enjoyed it. No problem with my bike. More info here>> http://www.maint.com/GreenSpain/

Looks like there's a tram link in Bilbao which the bikes probably won't be able to access, so a bit of pedalling to the Feve station.
Last edited by b1ke on 15 Aug 2019, 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....

Graham

Postby Graham » 15 Aug 2019, 9:09am

Astrobike wrote:You can catch a small ferry from Hendaye to Hondarribia across the estuary for 3 to 4 euros saves trecking
Round by the air port and avoides the worst of the traffic/ tunnels and there is a nice campsite on the cliff top
For 15 euros a night much cheaper than the campsites in France .

@ 15 Euros a night . . . much cheaper than campsites in France !!!!

Shock, horror . . . how much were you paying for the french campsites ?

( It would seem that £5 a night for a solo cycle-camper is a long distant memory. Hopelessly out-of-date. ) Sigh.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 15 Aug 2019, 9:24am

French campsites on my recent trip varied from €3.50 to €10.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

robing

Postby robing » 15 Aug 2019, 12:10pm

Me too. I've rarely paid over 10€ for camping in France. Some campsites along the velodyssey route do a special rate for cycle tourists.

climo

Postby climo » 15 Aug 2019, 8:13pm

robing wrote:Me too. I've rarely paid over 10€ for camping in France. Some campsites along the velodyssey route do a special rate for cycle tourists.

Mostly for solo cyclists. 3 years ago Mrs C and I paid 5-25€ per night in May and we haggled at the top prices. Cost was not always a sign of quality. As usual municipal sites were the cheapest and pretty high quality. Inland is cheaper.

Astrobike

Postby Astrobike » 15 Aug 2019, 8:14pm

From loire down to the Spanish coast I had to paye 30 euros On 3 nights , not all French camp sites are this dear
Just the big ones near to the coast , it would have been 4 but one of the campsites directed me to a cheaper site .
I have been to the Orange area this year and the average cost per night was only 6 euros a night .