Suggestions for 2018

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
honesty

Suggestions for 2018

Post by honesty »

As the weather is rubbish outside and it’s dark and crappy I’m thinking ahead to my summer tour.

Originally I was thinking the French half of the Tour de Manche but after looking into it I won’t be able to do it in 6/7 days I have, or have the money really for it as the ferries and trains to and from the start/end are expensive.

So suggestions? Has to be cheap and accessible, no long train journeys or anything from Taunton.

Currently thinking I may do a south to north to south camping trip on the Lon Las Cymru.
chocjohn9

Re: Suggestions for 2018

Post by chocjohn9 »

The Bryan Chapman memorial ride, but at a pace which is enjoyable :D ?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I rather like that idea. May have to investigate the course.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Why not Lon Las Cymru, but doing B&B? And make the B&Bs a feature, something to look forward to? Select them on the basis of how interesting and attractive they are. My wife and I did two thirds of the Offa's Dyke Path in the summer, and it was a tour of B&Bs. The highlight was Drewin Farm, near Montgomery, which was a a very large farmhouse with loads of character and idyllic setting. The elderly lady who runs the place was very talkative and welcoming.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Money basically. Plus I have a full camping kit.
pwa

Post by pwa »

honesty wrote:Money basically. Plus I have a full camping kit.

Money is a factor, certainly.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Are you sure the fares are expensive - have you checked? It's only about 40 quid each way for man and bike on Brittany Ferries and I doubt the train fares would be high booked well in advance. A couple of hundred quid should cover the travel costs. Then if you're camping it'd be a low cost holiday.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Just set off and see where you get.

Make a route based on stuff that interests you, I dunno, heritage railways, castles, windmills, motor museums etc, etc..... a trip shouldn't be just about churning out the miles. Did a Yorkshire - Dorset and back trip a couple of years ago, visited all sorts of places on my 'bucket' list, bit of camping with a couple of nights b+b - couple of short train links when weather turned nasty. Cost sod all.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Ferry to Roscoff, cycle East along the coast camping in Municipals along to Caen. Ferry to Portsmouth and cycle home. Lots of interesting things to see along the way. No need to stick to any written down route, just wing it.

But... I expect you have done similar already?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Just paid €44. For ferry from cherbourg into Poole, no booking just turned up.
honesty

Post by honesty »

We’re off on a family holiday to Florida in February so will be skint for the rest of the year. Ferries and trains for France would be about 200 quid, which I won’t have. Catching the train to Bristol to go camping across wales will cost a tenner. I’m liking the idea of cycling the Brian Chapman memorial route (its likely to be the only way I’d ever do this event!) but maybe a few to many A roads.
pwa

Post by pwa »

honesty wrote:We’re off on a family holiday to Florida in February so will be skint for the rest of the year. Ferries and trains for France would be about 200 quid, which I won’t have. Catching the train to Bristol to go camping across wales will cost a tenner. I’m liking the idea of cycling the Brian Chapman memorial route (its likely to be the only way I’d ever do this event!) but maybe a few to many A roads.

Having done the Bryan Chapman MR a couple of times, yes, too much A road to be enjoyable on a tour. LLC is a better bet for you.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I guess you've discounted France due to cost / time etc...wholly understandable with Florida coming up....done that twice and with park tickets / flights / accommodation its a big outlay.

My point in replying is that I've done Taunton to Poole and its a pleasant one/ two day ride..the Barfleur can deliver you from Poole to Cherbourg on a day sail..or to St Malo....you then have a great choice of cycling and camping...perhaps 5/7 days. My be worth considering for the future.

I'm not sure what it is but there's something magical about cycling abroad and as you say its that time of year to plan another tour.

Best of luck
hamster

Post by hamster »

Also consider the LD Lines Truck ferry Portsmouth-Le Havre - can be very cheap.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

honesty wrote:As the weather is rubbish outside and it’s dark and crappy I’m thinking ahead to my summer tour.

Originally I was thinking the French half of the Tour de Manche but after looking into it I won’t be able to do it in 6/7 days I have, or have the money really for it as the ferries and trains to and from the start/end are expensive.

So suggestions? Has to be cheap and accessible, no long train journeys or anything from Taunton.

Currently thinking I may do a south to north to south camping trip on the Lon Las Cymru.

Plymouth to Taunton isn't bad and then the ferry as a foot passenger isn't too expensive. I know you are on a budget but the food/wine/campsite (especially the latter) are likely to be a lot cheaper. There's a camping route here on my website you're free to use and it's a lovely introduction to the area and very varied (Brittany's strongest suit) - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... at-roscoff

Any help you need feel free to PM me.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...