Touring shoe recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Squibnocket

Touring shoe recommendations

Post by Squibnocket »

I'm used to riding road bikes with spd sl cleats but I've just bought an old Raleigh Thunder Road and hope to do a tour around France with it next year.
I wanted to use spd pedals so I can use them to walk in. I like the classic look of the giro republic road shoe and I've also seen a pair of arturo leather shoes, the problem with these are they are not spd compatible shoes, so do I go for a toe clip and strap combination with a traditional pedal.

Any recommendations, advice or other options?
Thank you
andrew_s

Re: Touring shoe recommendations

Post by andrew_s »

I use SPD sandals.
No need for socks or separate shoes for evening wear.

Just don't forget to put sun screen on the feet too.
When it's cool, there's surprisingly little difference in foot warmth between sandals & no socks, and regular shoes. I put it down to unrestricted circulation when wearing sandals.

Mine are shimano sd66 or exustar ss502, both of which have been superseded by later models. Buying now, I'd get the shimano sd5/sd500 (seem to be the same thing).
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

I'd ditch the SPD's, personally I found them uncomfortable to walk in. I just use a slip-on boot now eg. http://www.blundstone.com/shop/stout-br ... -style-500

Add a strapless pedal clip for support if you want..... make life on tour easy.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Squibnocket wrote:I like the classic look of the giro republic road shoe and I've also seen a pair of arturo leather shoes, the problem with these are they are not spd compatible shoes

The Giro Republic are SPD compatible, but not of course SL. I've been using the LX (brown leather top version) for 2 years now as a summer touring shoe. Try the size before you buy.
Other shoes - how deep is your pocket https://quocpham.com/collections/city-c ... 7784485892 or https://dromarti.com/cycling-shoes/sportivo-black

I have two machines that have toeclips and straps, and I find that because I am used to SPD pedals I pull my feet up and back, especially when accelerating, which causes my feet to leave the toeclip. This was never a problem "back in the day", even with shoe plates. I am just too used to being clipped in,
Last edited by tatanab on 9 Dec 2017, 10:06am, edited 1 time in total.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Another vote for the republic LX. Lovely comfortable shoe and replaceable walking pads are a bonus when you wear them out.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I use Lidl shoes with a Shimano SPD sole - limited release times but cheap and worth watching out for.

Otherwise there are plenty of MTB shoes that work without being specific touring shoes that you can walk in and are not too garish if that's the attraction to specific 'touring' models. This time of year i'm using winter boots - i've got road and MTB versions depending on the bike being used and weather conditions!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

[Have used SPDs for years and continue to.

But for extended touring I would ditch them.

And I would recommend these shoes without fitting cleats.

http://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Splin ... 4786-p.htm

Excellent. I don't notice any real loss in pedalling performance and you get a real sense of freedom either strolling off the bike ir if you have to dismount and push a loaded tourer, particularly if off-road or on a canal towpath or whatever.

I got some for the remarkable price of about £35 in a sale.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

There's plenty of casual SPD shoes that look OK on and off the bike, I'm currently using louis garneau nickel shoes that were cheap in a sale, comfortable and practical
https://www.evanscycles.com/louis-garne ... e-EV258621

I've also had a couple of pairs of the Exustar touring shoes which have a fairly classic look
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s154p33 ... lvio-SP705
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Like andrew_s I use SPuD sandals, at least in the warmer half of the year.

The recommended shoes are typically whatever fits best while ticking other boxes. One of the good things about sabdals is not really having much of an upper to speak of, they're far more flexible with fit (mine are Shimanos, I need about 2 sizes up on their shoes to get wide enough and then they're far too long, not an issue with my SD 65s).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

if you are used to and like being clipped in i would suggest using a MTB SPD shoe. you get the familiarity of clipless and a shoe you can actually use to walk in.

i use a shimano m087, they look good, are comfy and you can walk in them easily

the Louis Garneau Nickel look great too, they are the same kind of thing
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

Many thanks for the recommendations and advice. Looks like I'm going to have to try a few pairs before the final decision is made.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

For touring I switched to platform pedals and 5-10 shoes. Very comfortable shoes and with the pedals, I can even ride in flip flops
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
ossie

Post by ossie »

I use SPD shoes...had the same pair for donkeys years. Look fine off the bike as well. I'd be tempted to go down the sandal route but I've met so much inclement weather I'm struggling to see how I'd keep the feet warm without a decent shoe. You aren't just on the bike, you're walking around the campsite, down the supermarket and even in August it can get bloody miserable and cold when its wet. Just not worth the risk.
PH

Post by PH »

ossie wrote:I'd be tempted to go down the sandal route but I've met so much inclement weather I'm struggling to see how I'd keep the feet warm without a decent shoe.

The answer is socks :) Thin ones, waterproof ones, thick wooley ones, or none. Then there's no reason overshoes can't be used as easily with sandals as with any other footwear. I didn't find the Shimano sandals particularly comfortable, but the theory worked well once I'd worked out how to stop the waterproof socks filling with rain :oops: They also have the advantage of drying quickly as there's no fabric to get soaked.
Having spent four days of my last tour with wet feet, I'm tempted to find a pair I am comfortable in.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

I use Shimano SPD sandals, and if it's cold or wet, Sealskinz socks. If it's seriously cold, wool socks underneath. If it's wet and cold, overshoe covers.

The Sealskinz have to be the Merino sort, the synthetic ones stink after a day or two. And, if wet, tights must be outside the socks, not the other way around.

Unlike wet shoes, if the Sealskinz get wet, the next day - TARA! I get another pair our of a pannier.