Forres - Grantown on Spey off road route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GPC

Forres - Grantown on Spey off road route

Post by GPC »

While browsing the Sustrans website I noticed a route indicated as a 'non-NCN route' that leads from Mannachie Avenue in Forres to Grantown on Spey. I want to ride this route on a tourer with luggage, does anyone know the quality of surface please? I know how variable Sustrans routes can be, (I'm a ranger) this is a non-NCN route. So, what is the surface like please, it looks direct and will avoid the heavily trafficked A940, it could solve all my problems. Does anyone know? Answers from people with experience of this off road route would be appreciated.
Thank you
LollyKat

Re: Forres - Grantown on Spey off road route

Post by LollyKat »

I don't know it personally but there is good info here:

The Dava Way

"The Dava Way is a great off road cycling route. The surface is firm for most of the route but it is often rough and front suspension is definitely recommended. When cycling the route we recommend you allow about 4 hours plus time for a picnic (although it has been completed in 2h 45min). This gives a pleasant day's cycling with time to enjoy the varying views that unfold around you. "

It's mostly along the old Highland Railway line so the gradients shouldn't be too steep. I'm surprised that the A940 is "heavily trafficked" but it's a long time since I've ridden it.
GPC

Re: Forres - Grantown on Spey off road route

Post by GPC »

Great information, one to avoid on the tourer. Thank you for that.