Via Michelin, how accurate?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Squibnocket

Via Michelin, how accurate?

Post by Squibnocket »

Plain and simple, as the title says how accurate is the Via Michelin app using it as a way to ride through France?

Looking forward to the replies :D
HarryD

Re: Via Michelin, how accurate?

Post by HarryD »

Don't know about France but I know a number of routes suggested by via Michelin for cyclists are not possible on the ground in Spain. Have heard of others ending up on fire roads and extraction lanes when following suggested routes in Germany and France. However, for distances and general planning it is a good start

Have a look at cycle.travel/map. Designed for cyclists by cyclists. Also gives profiles and climb. Easy to use and fine tune
pq

Post by pq »

I've never used the app, but Michelin maps, like every French map are not quite as accurate as Brits are used to. They miss some back roads and the surface might not be what you're expecting.

I use ridewithGPS in France and it's OK, but has a tendency to route on dirt tracks, to take weird detours to avoid tiny sections of what it think are main roads, and it loves long distance bike routes.

For me, no app will do as good a job as I'll do myself, although they can give a useful starting point.
One link to your website is enough. G
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

The Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea is shown as a road ... never been a vehicle over it. The locals have 'walked' it for many decades (some sections can be more of a craw).
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

Many thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the suggestions made.
Squibnocket

Post by Squibnocket »

HarryD wrote:Don't know about France but I know a number of routes suggested by via Michelin for cyclists are not possible on the ground in Spain. Have heard of others ending up on fire roads and extraction lanes when following suggested routes in Germany and France. However, for distances and general planning it is a good start

Have a look at cycle.travel/map. Designed for cyclists by cyclists. Also gives profiles and climb. Easy to use and fine tune

Had a look at cycle.travel, it looks like a very useful site some great information available, suggestions for the campsites are useful too. Thank you