Disposing of bike box

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pj76

Disposing of bike box

Post by pj76 »

specifically, is it ok to dispose of a gert big cardboard bike box and various bits of foam pipe cladding at a busy airport somewhere, without being arrested?

barcelona airport, in case you're asking, for the ride back to St Malo in March.
MartinBrice

Re: Disposing of bike box

Post by MartinBrice »

yes, leave it in the corner of the airport, if someone tells you to take it with you, do so, dump it by some bins outside.
dnrc

Post by dnrc »

leave it somewhere. you could end up helping another cyclist who needs one.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

First time I did this was in Germany (Frankfurt Hahn airport); I asked an employee (he was a porter or something similar, not a deskbound person) - he indicated that I should put the foam bits in a bin, and fold up the cardboard and showed me a specific place for it - presumably near where their recycling collection is done from.
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have often done it.

I try to find a cleaner if possible, if not just leave it by the bins. Make sure top is open so it can easily be seen to be empty, or break and fold flat. I don't see the problem it is just rubbish.

In many poorer countries they are all too glad of it because they can sell it for recycling (or live in it).

Certainly not a worry on my list of worries.

I once dumped an old sleeping bag at Gatwick and the cleaner wasn't amused. I had bought it for a quid from a charity shop, slept in it one night for early morning departure. Never had a problem with a box.
pj76

Post by pj76 »

thanks everyone.
whoof

Post by whoof »

dnrc wrote:leave it somewhere. you could end up helping another cyclist who needs one.

If you are leaving a box make sure you tell someone. You could cause the airport to be evacuated whilst the bomb squad take a look at it.
I've always either found the biffa bin/recycling area and disposed of them there or spoken to someone at the information desk and they have told me where I can put it for collection.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

You need to be especially careful if there's been trouble recently. At Malaga airport a few years back, I left my bike unattended for – literally – a couple of minutes while I disposed of the cardboard box, and got a very serious telling-off from a very jumpy armed guard. Lesson learnt!
ossie

Post by ossie »

pj76 wrote:specifically, is it ok to dispose of a gert big cardboard bike box and various bits of foam pipe cladding at a busy airport somewhere, without being arrested?

barcelona airport, in case you're asking, for the ride back to St Malo in March.

At Girona I left mine next to a bin outside after building up the bike. I asked inside and no one really had a clue as it rarely happens so jut did it and cycled away into the sun.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Arrivals and departures are usually separate so meeting someone who wants a box is unlikely.

It would be good if airports stored them for re-use, but very unlikely to happen. I'm not sure if any airlines provide them anymore. Quantas used to but I don't think they do now.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

First time I flew and required a bike box I was told they were available on arrival at Gatwick, rolled up asked re boxes was directed to an office, found some bloke who told me I could have one for £x or he could ring down to arrivals and see if there were any dumped ones and it would cost me £y x2 for beers...
Returning from Boston was a different matter and had to take the new supplied box... These days it seems it is all so different.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells