alpine winter touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

alpine winter touring

Post by foxyrider »

Spending Xmas in Austria this year without a bike at hand :cry:

Even with the recent snow here the lower passes are mostly open and it occurs to me that you could have an enjoyable trip in the area this time of year on a bike. Thinking along lines of road bike using hotel / b&b accomodation.

So, what do you think? has anyone on here done such a trip? Any tips on kit, routes etc?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Re: alpine winter touring

Post by foxyrider »

Just bumping this, guess no one has done this?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No but I did just see a film set in the Alps 5300 years ago
Der Mann aus dem Eis, the story of Oetzi who was found preserved frozen in a glacier
Worth seeing, but I could not understand a word :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

The weather in the Alps has worsened dramatically in the last days. Stormy with very high wind speeds recorded.
At the moment a very high (red) avalanche risk, a lot of mudslides and high river levels.
Deep snow at higher levels.

Not mountain cycling weather. Skis will serve you better in a week or so when the show consolidates.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you take a bike to the Alps you want to be guaranteed good cycling. You don't want to be going with a real risk of not being able to get to those classic cols, which is what you will be risking if you go out of the normal cycling season.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pwa wrote:If you take a bike to the Alps you want to be guaranteed good cycling. You don't want to be going with a real risk of not being able to get to those classic cols, which is what you will be risking if you go out of the normal cycling season.

Wasn't thinking of going too high, I know the high passes are usually closed for much of the winter but there are lower routes that are generally kept open. Looks like I might just have to go and do it!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My thinking is you would be totally dependent on the weather and being in the mountains it will be more variable.
If it was nice then you'll have a good holiday/tour, if it was bad then you'll go nowhere.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Did you form an opinion about the politrickial situation in Austria and the new government?
malvandy

Post by malvandy »

You won't be cycling in the Alps right now, weather is unbelievably bad with flooding & further risk of avalanches. Stay safe
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

malvandy wrote:You won't be cycling in the Alps right now, weather is unbelievably bad with flooding & further risk of avalanches. Stay safe

There are some big cities in the Alps: Grenoble, Innsbruck etc
Can one cycle there in winter?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cyril Haearn wrote:There are some big cities in the Alps: Grenoble, Innsbruck etc
Can one cycle there in winter?

Of course.given normal winter weather. Snow clearance is very efficient.
Often lots of corrosive salt about.
But no more so than Berlin I guess.
Minus temps into double figures give red cheeks and cold fingers.
Outside the towns ploughed snow can make life interesting but drivers in the main are ok.
Really deep snowfall will give cyclists problems away from major routes, undriven forest trails can be difficult to impossible.

Less cyclists about too!
The Alpine cyclist is a beast that normally goes to ground after the temperature hits 0 degrees!
Or for some when the calendar says wintertime!

Though, as always, there are some exceptions.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I'm looking at next Christmas, likely in the Voralberg region/Rheintal area. Atm the only useful forecast for then is 'cold'! Cold I can dress for, I can have a bike with snow studs too.

Mad dogs etc :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't see why not to try it, if you are prepared for the cold, and keep an eye on the weather.

IMO, the potential problems are mainly related to weather, and/or being remote from help. On some passes, you can go miles and miles with no people, homes, or businesses around, so if you get into bad weather, you may not have many options. If the pass is closed while you're up there, you may have trouble getting down again. Bad weather on a mountainside can be fatal; because of risks already mentioned, the weather itself, or because visibility is so poor that it's easy to make mistakes, miss your way, or step off a cliff.

Keep an eye on the weather, and don't risk it if bad weather is likely. Or carry basic emergency supplies and a rescue beacon (PLB).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a lot of weather in Switzerland, the railway to Zermatt is closed and 13 000 people can not get out
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Have you tried cross country skiing? :wink: :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom