otley road east morton to menston: OK for cyc;ing

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

otley road east morton to menston: OK for cyc;ing

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The otley road from east morton to menston was mentioned perhaps unfavorably in AtoB(foler)magazine (a few motor vehicle fatal crashes in a few years):

As it appeared as an unclassified road on my maps I had planned to cycle along it toward wetherby:

what is like for cycling?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
thirdcrank

Re: otley road east morton to menston: OK for cyc;ing

Post by thirdcrank »

Like so many once-quiet roads, it now carries a lot of traffic (eg East Morton has sprung a quite large estate of executive houses with executive cars to match) but it's a popular cycling route, at least one of my favourites, pre-angina.

Here's a streetview of the last bit of the road out of the village

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.87728 ... 312!8i6656
=======================================================================
PS

In the context of folding bikes, the whole of that area is pretty hilly - not Alpine but not ideal for a folder. I appreciate that you aren't asking for recommendations for routes to Wetherby, but I would say that the northern side of the River Wharfe offers somewhat flatter roads with perhaps a bit less traffic than the southern side.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks, I planned to use my 'Tourer' rather than my folder, and for otley to wetherby planned to use the 'north of River Wharfe' route mentioned elsewhere thru Dunkeswick and Ntherby and Sicklinghall.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

SA_SA_SA wrote:Thanks, I planned to use my 'Tourer' rather than my folder, and for otley to wetherby planned to use the 'north of River Wharfe' route mentioned elsewhere thru Dunkeswick and Ntherby and Sicklinghall.

That's the way I'd go starting from East Morton, but if I didn't have to go via East Morton, but eg from Silsden I'd ride to Ilkley, via Brunthwaite not the A6034. The main road from Menston to Otley (A65 / A 6038) isn't far and more or less downhill all the way so not a big deal unless you are totally averse to main roads. If you have the time + energy for a bit ( :lol: ) more climbing then the "scenic route" over the Chevin may suit you better. Although the East Chevin road would be more of a detour for you as compared with the West Chevin, the reward is a magnificent panorama and an exhilerating swoop descent into Otley, with only one side junction (on your left near the bottom) to look out for SMIDSY idiots.

If you like bike shops, or need one for spares etc., Chevin Cycles is worth a visit in the middle of Otley. It's a former car salesroom with loads of stuff on display.

The only other places where the traffic can be nasty are crossing the A 658 which is busy, and the A 61 after Dunkeswick when you have to do a short strectch of the A61 before turning right. Some traffic on the A61 goes at silly speeds. Unfortunately, there's nowhere really traffic-free around Leeds and Bradford. As one example, there used to be a Victorian asylum at Menston - Highroyds - which has been sold off for housing in the last few years, with the inevitable three cars per house.

If you have any interest in birdwatching, keep an eye open for red kites, especially around Kirkby Overblow. They have successfully been introduced on the Harewood Estate just across the valley from there and they are a magnificent sight. They do range much more widely, of couse, and we've had them over our house but the nearer you are to Harewood, the more likely you are to see them.

Enjoy your ride. :D
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Thanks,