Eurovelo maps 5,6,and 13

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
FixedWheel

Eurovelo maps 5,6,and 13

Post by FixedWheel »

Hi there.

Does anyone know where I can get paper maps? So far I have located only Eurovelo 6 online. I plan to cycle to Istanbul from Manchester this summer. I need Eurovelo 5 and 13 as well.

Any advice on maps and routes would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Cyril Haearn

Re: Eurovelo maps 5,6,and 13

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Map Shop in Upton-on-Severn

Will you be using fixed or variable gears?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
FixedWheel

Post by FixedWheel »

I haven't decided yet about the fixed/geared question. If the route is really flat along the rivers, then I want to keep it simple and go for my fixie option.

If it is not flat, then please someone who has done it before tell me :-)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I have not seen any paper maps of Eurovelo routes, but they have a map for all Europe which is really quite useless. They do offer apps for Android and IOS
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Starting from Manchester? Pick the route carefully, I suspect the most challenging hill-climbing you'll hit will be the Pennines! The roads are so uppy-downy, it always seems to involve about a thousand metres of ascent, even if you never get higher than 300-400m. The route along the Rhine is pretty flat all the way from Rotterdam, take a left at Breisach and you've got a long steady 500m climb to Donaueschingen, where you're on the Danube. Someone else will be along to tell you about that, but I expect it'll mostly be reasonably level. Bit hilly through Bulgaria maybe, but you'll be fit as a lop by then!
FixedWheel

Post by FixedWheel »

Thanks guys for the advice. I still have not found the paper maps though. The Map Shop does not have them.

You think I can do this on a fixed wheel?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes you can do it on fixed I think but it might be a bit hard away from the rivers

I have cycled by the Elbe, Rhein, Oder, of course a fixed wheel is perfect for those

You could use a flip-flop hub with a 40" freewheel for the other bits

You could buy the maps when you get over there, better choice maybe and up-to-date (acquaint yourself with the route online first) or try Stanfords in London
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

+1 t trying stanfords
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

FixedWheel wrote:I haven't decided yet about the fixed/geared question. If the route is really flat along the rivers, then I want to keep it simple and go for my fixie option.

If it is not flat, then please someone who has done it before tell me :-)

Try googling "Luis de Sousa fixed"
He toured India on a fixed-wheel machine, +1
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

FixedWheel wrote:Thanks guys for the advice. I still have not found the paper maps though. The Map Shop does not have them.

Bikeline do guides for the Iron Curtain route (aka Eurovelo 13); Stanfords will sell these. I'm not aware of any paper maps for EuroVelo 5.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

How are you going to do your day to day navigation ??
Are you aiming to do it as fast as possible or take some time ??
Camping or hotels ??

For long tours I find you don't need to stick 100% to route as long as you are going in roughly the right direction .... :D
But I camp and I'm not trying to do it as fast as possible.
On long tours I take a road map, an android and a garmin.
On the map, I'll draw the rough route.
If I can get online with free power, then I can check/refine the next 3-4 days worth of routes. But it's not that important.
With the garmin, I can roughly pug the next days route into it, this is to mainly get out of cities.
Then just make up the rest as you go along.

You may find the ferry to the Hook to pick up the EV15 Rhine cycleway easier.
Rhine - Main - Canal -Danube is the flatest way, but it does wind a bit. Rhine - Danube direct is nicer.
The EV15 Rhine and EV6 Danube cycle routes are easy to follow apart from getting out of the odd city.
AnyOtherName

Post by AnyOtherName »

Flat all the way from Passau to Budapest thats where our journey ended (2017), word of caution from Bratislave to Budapest the Eurovelo route goes a bit Pete Tong and takes you on some pretty horrible and poorly signed, off roady on rubbly paths, not at all ideal for a fully laden touring bike.

We met a tandem pairing that had 4 punctures and i got bit to death by vampire mozzies despite being covered in deet

I am told that if you stay on the left bank from Bratislava the route is better but slightly more traffic.

Top Tip:

Austria does not take credit or debit cards

In Bratislava treat yourself to a night on one of the old cruise ships harboured up for the night, very cheap for 2 great breakfast, great fun, very central, no problems with the bike. We also did this in Budapest.
jamesxyz

Post by jamesxyz »

FixedWheel wrote:Hi there.

Does anyone know where I can get paper maps? So far I have located only Eurovelo 6 online. I plan to cycle to Istanbul from Manchester this summer. I need Eurovelo 5 and 13 as well.

Any advice on maps and routes would be much appreciated.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Danube-Cyclewa ... YPWA50851V

I've just got this book, I'm intending to ride from Munich to pick up the route at Passau and then on to Budapest this July. I used his other book when cycing the Rhine - it's really useful but you'll need maps too
Anyone got any idea if these are any good - but will need a few so seem quite expensive

https://shop.sustrans.org.uk/danube-bik ... ian-danube

The alternative is to ploy the route on a garmin - I did both on teh RHine last year and barely looked at amap!
FixedWheel

Post by FixedWheel »

I have decided to go for a fixed wheel bike. I hope I don't regret it. Aiming more than 100 miles per day without a rest day due to limited time I can afford. I will give you a full report if I survive ☺️
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

FixedWheel wrote:I have decided to go for a fixed wheel bike. I hope I don't regret it. Aiming more than 100 miles per day without a rest day due to limited time I can afford. I will give you a full report if I survive ☺️

+1
The only remaining decision is which gear ratio to use
:wink: