Fareham to Gosport ( ferry pier )

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vitara

Re: Fareham to Gosport ( ferry pier )

Post by Vitara »

The cycle track passes the end of my road & is my usual route in & out of Gosport. Total distance from Fareham to Gosport Ferry Pontoon is 10Km, half being the Eclipse Bus Route & the rest shared use cycle track and a little bit of road. I think it's a very good route, certainly better than the main A32.

Like many cycle routes there are a bits that can be tricky to fathom when you're not familiar with them. Here are some extra bits of info to supplement Cunobelins excellent photos and advice.

Places to join the route in Fareham are Redlands Lane or Palmerston Drive next to the Newgate Lane flyover.

If you're coming from Portchester direction then go Dean Park Rd, Bath Lane recreation ground, then stay left all the way to follow the route round Salterns Lane/Laburnum Rd to emerge on the A32 which you use for less than 1Km to the Wych Lane junction. R then L will have you on the Eclipse.

There are regular buses on the Eclipse, but with no other traffic they can pass you easily. If I see one ready to pull away from a stop I usually ease my speed and let them go, avoids playing leap frog, plus they're working and I'm just playing.

At the very end of the Eclipse cycle past the Bus exit, and you'll see the start of the cycle track.

There are various junctions off the track, but for most of it you need to keep going straight(ish) heading generally South East.

Just past Holbrook (by the 5 a side football pitches) the track chicanes R/L with a short downhill slope.

At the Military Rd Lights go straight over into Station Road, follow this for 30 metres and look out for the Cycle Track entrance on your right.

The track continues with two further road crossings, Cambridge Road and Leesland Road.

Just after Leesland Road the track veers hard right and then comes to a junction. The right hand fork (essentially straight ahead) takes you down to Stokes Bay via a mix of the old Stokes Bay branch line and roads. For the Gosport Ferry Pontoon you need the Left fork and back onto your previous heading.(1)

The Cycle Track ends at Spring Garden Lane, by what remains of Gosport railway station. From here keep going straight ahead to the traffic light junction, follow the road for about 500Km and you'll arrive at the ferry.

Hope this helps

(1) there is a short cut you can take through the industrial estate once you're familiar with the route
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Vitara wrote:The cycle track passes the end of my road & is my usual route in & out of Gosport. Total distance from Fareham to Gosport Ferry Pontoon is 10Km, half being the Eclipse Bus Route & the rest shared use cycle track and a little bit of road. I think it's a very good route, certainly better than the main A32.

Like many cycle routes there are a bits that can be tricky to fathom when you're not familiar with them. Here are some extra bits of info to supplement Cunobelins excellent photos and advice.

Places to join the route in Fareham are Redlands Lane or Palmerston Drive next to the Newgate Lane flyover.

If you're coming from Portchester direction then go Dean Park Rd, Bath Lane recreation ground, then stay left all the way to follow the route round Salterns Lane/Laburnum Rd to emerge on the A32 which you use for less than 1Km to the Wych Lane junction. R then L will have you on the Eclipse.

There are regular buses on the Eclipse, but with no other traffic they can pass you easily. If I see one ready to pull away from a stop I usually ease my speed and let them go, avoids playing leap frog, plus they're working and I'm just playing.

At the very end of the Eclipse cycle past the Bus exit, and you'll see the start of the cycle track.

There are various junctions off the track, but for most of it you need to keep going straight(ish) heading generally South East.

Just past Holbrook (by the 5 a side football pitches) the track chicanes R/L with a short downhill slope.

At the Military Rd Lights go straight over into Station Road, follow this for 30 metres and look out for the Cycle Track entrance on your right.

The track continues with two further road crossings, Cambridge Road and Leesland Road.

Just after Leesland Road the track veers hard right and then comes to a junction. The right hand fork (essentially straight ahead) takes you down to Stokes Bay via a mix of the old Stokes Bay branch line and roads. For the Gosport Ferry Pontoon you need the Left fork and back onto your previous heading.(1)

The Cycle Track ends at Spring Garden Lane, by what remains of Gosport railway station. From here keep going straight ahead to the traffic light junction, follow the road for about 500Km and you'll arrive at the ferry.

Hope this helps

(1) there is a short cut you can take through the industrial estate once you're familiar with the route

If you take the Salterns Lane option, then cross the A32 and join the Bus Route at the Hoeford stop and it saves the A32 stretch

... and the totally irrelevant

Allegedly the choice of Prince Albert was not universally accepted, when passing through Portsmouth by train to the Isle of Wight, the Royal eyes were offended by a dummy with a large German sausage poking out of the flies.

So offended was Victoria that she swore never to step into Portsmouth again and had the line to Stokes Bay built
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

This reminds me of my experience of using the Gosport to Portsmouth ferry during WWII.i was about 6years old.

During the blackout when the 'Penny Sick' drew alongside the pier, a crew member would stand over the gap between the boat and the pier. He would take hold of, one at a time, each passenger's arm and at the command 'jump' - that's s exactly what you did without a split second's delay.

How he could see what he was doing when there was no moon I have no idea because I could see absolutely nothing whatsoever and relied on reuniting with my parents by hearing them in the pitch dark.

Maybe I hadn't been eating enough carrots!!!!!

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Cheers