Fareham to Gosport ( ferry pier )

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TerryField

Fareham to Gosport ( ferry pier )

Post by TerryField »

Anyone used this route? It looks as if there is a cycle path most of the way. Is that the case?

Thanks

Terry
Jon Lucas

Re: Fareham to Gosport ferry

Post by Jon Lucas »

There isn't any ferry between Fareham and Gosport. I assume you mean the Portsmouth to Gosport ferry?

Cyclepath to where? It would be helpful to be more specific. I haven't used the ferry for some years but believe Portsmouth council have developed some paths to lead to the ferry, but have no knowledge of them. On the Gosport side you are just on the normal roads, which aren't that busy.
Graham

Re: Fareham to Gosport ( ferry pier )

Post by Graham »

I have changed the title to avoid ambiguity.

I am also interested in how much of the distance between Fareham & Gosport is on a dedicated Cycle Path.
( The old main road I used to cycle along was bad 50 years ago and must be hell now. )

Streetview would suggest that there is a distinct route along the old railway line.
Was it not supposed to be over-run by a dedicated bus route or something ?
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Thanks Graham,

The plan is to leave central Fareham and cycle to Gosport pier and then take foot/cycle ferry across to Portsmouth.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Fallback plan, use . . . . .
http://cycle.travel/map
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Thanks again Graham,

that is a very useful link, and shows the route I was thinking of taking. It looks pretty straightforward, as long as avoids the main road which, as you said, gets pretty busy
mjr

Post by mjr »

Graham wrote:Streetview would suggest that there is a distinct route along the old railway line.
Was it not supposed to be over-run by a dedicated bus route or something ?

Streetview suggests that it is no-motor-vehicles except authorised buses. There are "no pedestrian" signs but it looks like cycling is allowed. It may be a slightly scary experience being passed if the bus drivers are as reckless as ones on other busways though :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

There is about 2 miles of very good cycle path between Tichborne Way and Redlands Lane. It is open to buses and cycles only. See https://www.gosport.gov.uk/EasysiteWeb/getresource.axd?AssetID=3516&type=full&servicetype=Attachment
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The quietest route is a little convoluted

Leave Fareham on West Street then turn into teh ALDI car park and follow a cycle track across the Gillies

As you join Redlands Lane, turn left and proceed along the road until you join the Bus Rapid Transit Scheme. This will take you on a quiet route share with the odd bus to where it stops at the Hutfield Link.

Carry straight on alongtheu old railway track and you are traffic free into Gosport at Spring Garden Lane. Carry on straight across to Mumby road and a short on road ride to the Ferry

So in summary Fareham to the Gillies - Average town centre road
Gillies to Redlands Lane - mixed use traffic free

Redlands lane to BRT - minor urban road

Redlands Land to Hutfield link - superbly surfaced road only shared with the occasional bus, who give you stacks of room. You will only meet 2 or 3 in teh entire length

Hutfield Link to Spring Garden Lane - mixed use traffic free with occasional road crossing

Spring Garden Lane - Ferry - average town centre road

This link download the cycle map
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

From Redlands Lane to Hutfield

[youtube]UveivZl86ak[/youtube]

Just after Hutfield (Holbrook) - you would join from the right at 0:55

[youtube]SKqnM7XnBOM[/youtube]
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Brilliant advice - thanks everyone

Cheers

Terry
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cunobelin,

I know the area a little but I've not cycled there for 25 years or more so your video was very interesting. I certainly remember it as quiet if you managed to keep off the main roads.

Out of curiosity what camera did you take the video with and what was the software showing speed and elevation?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Graham wrote:The old main road I used to cycle along was bad 50 years ago...
Nah, as a lad (AKA young eejit) I distinctly recall drafting the old Provincial buses, which seemed to have a top speed of circa 20mph :roll: Probably not feasible with current buses, and Cunobelin's route looks far safer :lol:
"42"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

francovendee wrote:Cunobelin,

I know the area a little but I've not cycled there for 25 years or more so your video was very interesting. I certainly remember it as quiet if you managed to keep off the main roads.

Out of curiosity what camera did you take the video with and what was the software showing speed and elevation?

Sorry - neither is mine, they we're simply links offf YouTube
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

+1, Cunobelin beat me to it. Really easy and stress free. You will see all sorts of cyclists on it.