Bike Express 2am drop off in Macon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Bike Express 2am drop off in Macon

Post by robing »

I've booked a Bike Express one way ticket to Macon in June. Only trouble is the drop off time is 2AM.
The drop off area is by the BP truck stop Macon Nord. Looking for a place to stay that I can take the bike into.
I normally use F1 but the one here is closed. There's either a Campanile or Ibis Budget.
Anyone know what their bike policy is like?
whoof

Re: Bike Express 2am drop off in Macon

Post by whoof »

I'm flying to Malaga in June and will be landing about 11.30 pm. I e-mailed the Ibis Budget next to the airport and they said I could put my bike in the room. At 2 am there is also probably no one on reception and an electronic check-in. So no one would notice until you were leaving next morning.

The buffet breakfast at about £4 looked like good value.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

I stayed at a few Ibis Budget places on my recent trip through Western Europe.

Check in will be Electronic at that time and I always just stashed my bike under the stair well or was directed to a safe place by one of the staff members.....was never a problem on perhaps 5 different occasions.
The rooms are very small and I doubt you'll want your bike in there as well.
Never tried the breakfast sorry.....always fired up the Trangia in the room :)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've stashed my bike in the staff room at an Ibis or their ilk, boiler room, under the stairs or in the room. They are pretty laid back about it. It will fit in the room if you bring it in last minute before you bed down. We've managed to get two bikes in a room. The breakfast is always well worth it. You can usually stuff yourself. Many of the suits staying there hardly touch theirs, so plenty for hungry cyclists.
robing

Post by robing »

I stayed at an Ibis Budget once in Normandy, it was fine - a big step up from a F1!
The advantage is has the numeric keypad check in so should be able to check in at 2am no problems and probably sneak my bike in :)
I don't think Campanile has automated check and reception hours are limited so it might not be such a good option.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

If you are on your own I can't see a problem with getting your bike in the room.
We've managed to get two bikes in the room at Ibis budget before.
Obviously the space is limited but Ibis budget doesn't have the smallest rooms of the budget hotels.
At that time in the morning you are pretty well free to put your bike in the room without encountering any staff.
alankeith

Post by alankeith »

Hi
I stopped two nights at the Macon Ibis Budget last Sept and I had no difficulty in keeping my cycle in the bedroom.
The EBE coach stop was about 50 metres away. Interesting cycling area with the "Tunnel du Bois Clair, the longest tunnel in Europe open to cyclists,1.6 kms" restricted to bats, walkers and cyclists. It is closed in winter due to the bat hibernation.
Enjoy
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Note that the poster saying brekkie was "all you can eat" was referring the the Ibis one, which is indeed very good with meat and cheeses etc. The Ibis Budget is much cheaper and the protein is all cheese, and the F1 breakfasts are bread and jam. You get what you pay for. My preference is to walk in to an Ibis and ask if you can pay for a breakfast. So if you stay in a Budget, don't go for the breakfast, walk to the Ibis if you can.

Also, you might want to think 2am in mid summer is a good time to get a few miles in - this would work only if you had a campsite to go to
robing

Post by robing »

The annoying thing is having to shell out for a night's hotel when I'm only getting half of it! I plumped for the ibis budget as they replied to my email promptly, also reception is manned 24 hours.
AnyOtherName

Post by AnyOtherName »

How long will you be on the coach? Why not take some lights and get on with the ride?
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

You can't really guarantee that the bus will drop you off at the exact time. have you a sleeping bag with you? There are large grassy areas near that truck stop and a bus shelter down the road. I'd find a nice quiet spot and just curl up for a few hours. I always carry an emergency lightweight tent and sleeping bag even when B/B ing. Bus shelters, derelict buildings, bus/train stations, airports, behind a hedge. Done it all and slept like a baby. June in France, lovely and warm.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

AnyOtherName wrote:How long will you be on the coach? Why not take some lights and get on with the ride?

+1, if you can snatch a bit of sleep on the bus. I did a 4am start once coming off the ferry at Dieppe, and knocked off the day's ride before noon. Not something I'd make a habit of, but enjoyable once in a while.
robing

Post by robing »

Some good suggestions, could always crash out if needed in a bus shelter, etc otherwise known as an audax hotel! I always have my camping gear with me so tent and sleeping bag always an option.