windermere

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: windermere - bike bus and bike boat

Post by mercalia »

adamedwards17 wrote:The 599 bus which is the Bowness - Windermere Station - Ambleside - Grasmere route has bike spaces. Im the summer it runs every 20 mins and is open top which can be fun on a normal wet day! I use this with my bike from Ambleside to Windermere as the A591 is not a nice road to ride on, especially up hill into Windermere with close passes. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/cumbria-and-north-lancashire/599/grasmere-bowness-on-windermere/xnao599.i

There is also a Bike Boat from Brockhole to near Wray Castle May to September Sat and Sun, Monday to Friday as well July and August. https://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/cruises-fares/bike-boat

My favourite route to reach my elderly Mum is to get off the train at Staverley (steep steps) and then cycle via Mislet to Troutbeck Bridge and then the cycle path to Brockhole. Ferry to Wray Castle (coffee) and then on to Skelwith (or Ambleside etc). The Bike Boat pm is mostly bringing people back from the west side of Windermere, so a 15:00 ish run often means I have a personal cruise. Very civilised!

thats good to know info thanks
Paulatic

Re: windermere

Post by Paulatic »

AdamS wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 3:39pm
Paulatic wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:
What is a "bag rat"
A countryman’s term for hikers ( often seen with a little pack on their backs) usually used by farmers who have well used paths running through their land.
Not one I've come across in all my years of rambling. Sounds somewhat derogatory anyway. Probs best avoided in the spirit of rural harmony.
[

Talking to a guy whose been helping cull deer in the LD over the winter. Told me Crag rats often spoiled their efforts.
I never knew. Apologies I was wrong with my description :D the LD has crag rats and the NYM has bag rats.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

My resort of choice is Keswick. It gets busy, but it always feels more like it's frequented by walkers, cyclists, and other outdoor enthusiasts rather than the Barbour & green wellie brigade up from London in their Chelsea tractors.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Yes we love Keswick :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

I would advise checking out the Lyth and Rusland Valleys, I suspect you could work out a very nice circuit using those.