windermere

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

Re: windermere

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's more likely to be Chinese tourists now. Prefer the japanese, they're nicer ppl IME. Used to show off to them in my kayak after a beginner's trip down the river Totham once we'd seen the beginners to the shore. Got many an appreciative response and clicks of camera shutters. All good fun.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

other than bikeing has any one used the buses to get around there? since I have a Freedom Pass I thought this first time use that to have a look a round to avoid any hassle with bikes on trains and booking. I know I can get from Windermere train stn to Ambleside for free
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

mercalia wrote: has any one used the buses to get around there?

Yes, combined with hiking. They are pretty good.

The two frequent (by rural standards, 1 bus per hour) trunk routes are Kendal - Windermere - Ambleside - Keswick and Penrith - Keswick - Cockermouth - Workington.

There are several journeys per day on routes: Windermere - Ambleside - Coniston, Keswick - Borrowdale, Penrith - Patterdale, Windermere - Ulverston and Coniston - Ulverston. There are some less frequent other routes, down to one per week from Patterdale to Keswick.

There are summer-only services between Patterdale and Windermere (a very scenic ride over Kirkstone Pass) and from Keswick to Buttermere (Honister Pass), and extra summer open-top services from Keswick to Borrowdale and Bowness to Grasmere.

The walk-on fares are high, to profit from tourists. Most locals and regulars use weekly or monthly passes which work out much cheaper per trip.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes the buses are excellent for a rural area after a big sustainable transport push from the national park. Here is a planner: https://www.golakes.co.uk/travel/by-bus.aspx You can integrate boat, train, bus and even bikes now.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Don't forget the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway and the steam railway at the bottom of Windermere

The town and the lake are both called "Windermere"
How does one distinguish between them, may one talk about *Lake Windermere*, or is that incorrect?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

jgurney wrote:

The two frequent (by rural standards, 1 bus per hour) trunk routes are Kendal - Windermere - Ambleside - Keswick and Penrith - Keswick - Cockermouth - Workington.

There are several journeys per day on routes: Windermere - Ambleside - Coniston, Keswick - Borrowdale, Penrith - Patterdale, Windermere - Ulverston and Coniston - Ulverston. There are some less frequent other routes, down to one per week from Patterdale to Keswick.

There are summer-only services between Patterdale and Windermere (a very scenic ride over Kirkstone Pass) and from Keswick to Buttermere (Honister Pass), and extra summer open-top services from Keswick to Borrowdale and Bowness to Grasmere.

The walk-on fares are high, to profit from tourists. Most locals and regulars use weekly or monthly passes which work out much cheaper per trip.

I assume my Freedom Pass means I can use them for free? I contacted StageCoach and they said would be free on all their buses in the lake District
I am starting to get a bit weary of bringing a bike on trains up north.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The Keswick - Borrowdale and Keswick - Buttermere circular routes are good for bus passes. The seasonal Buttermere bus gets full of bus pass wielding elderly going for a ride only not using it to get anywhere if you follow me. Not against it but with such limited numbers of buses and you're at the end of a long route or multi - day trip needing the bus to get out then you find nobody getting off and the bus is full.

I've had the last place on the bus once so was very lucky. That was some time back when mountain goat bus company ran the route. Not sure if they still do. If you've got half a day to get from Buttermere to Penrith for your train home it feels wrong having to walk from Buttermere to Keswick because the bus is full and nobody got out at the destination.

I prefer to use the car in the lakes tbh so not to to date on buses. The 555 and a few others that run from Kendal up through to Keswick are good buses to use. You can do a good linear walk say helvellyn ridgeline using the reliable bus service to get back to your car. I know ppl who use it for this purpose.
Flite

Post by Flite »

Personally, I would go to Windermere YH rather than Ambleside.
Ambleside when I visited had 3 bus loads of "Young People" from somewhere like Bradford social services. I had booked and paid for 3 nights, but I left after one. Felt more like a city hostel.
Windermere is more traditional, quieter, lovely staff, attracts a lot of families. But it is a steep climb up to it.
Depends what sort of hostel you prefer, really
Weather in the LD is always pot luck.
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

jgurney wrote:

The bus that takes you right through the middle of the lake District, Kendal - Windermere - Ambleside - Keswick (the 55 IIRC) actually starts at Lancaster, and gets extremely busy. It is a double deck bus that can take at least 10 minutes with people getting off and on in the main places it passes through, and at times can get badly held up by traffic, especially at school emptying time, so can often be running half an hour late. I've been on it a few times, and it takes you right through the central mountains and past some lovely lakes. The turn into the station approach at Windermere station is on a sharp gradient and in icy or wet conditions it can feel particularly worrying!

The other spinal route, from Penrith to Keswick, Cockermouth and Workington, is much faster and more reliable in timing.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Yes the 555 is legendary around here, it takes about a month (sic) to get from Lancaster to Keswick. People have written poems and plays about it! here's an opportunity for someone https://dukes-lancaster.org/about-us/wo ... portunity/

There was a project a few years ago allow bikes to be taken on some buses and boats in the lake district, not sure if it is still running: http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... hed-37268/
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Time to get Wordsworth spinning in his grave by building a railway over Dunmail Raise, and reopening Penrith-Keswick-Whitehaven
ralphradford

Post by ralphradford »

With reference to the carrying of bikes on buses. I was last in Windermere 2 years ago and some bus routes allowe'd up to 4 bikes on board.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Paulatic wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:
Paulatic wrote: Every where you go you’ll encounter bag rats but some of them aren’t so bad. :D

l

What is a "bag rat"

A countryman’s term for hikers ( often seen with a little pack on their backs) usually used by farmers who have well used paths running through their land.

Not one I've come across in all my years of rambling. Sounds somewhat derogatory anyway. Probs best avoided in the spirit of rural harmony.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

AdamS wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
ANTONISH wrote:
What is a "bag rat"

A countryman’s term for hikers ( often seen with a little pack on their backs) usually used by farmers who have well used paths running through their land.

Not one I've come across in all my years of rambling. Sounds somewhat derogatory anyway. Probs best avoided in the spirit of rural harmony.

Suitcase Hostellers, we used to say
adamedwards17

Re: windermere - bike bus and bike boat

Post by adamedwards17 »

The 599 bus which is the Bowness - Windermere Station - Ambleside - Grasmere route has bike spaces. Im the summer it runs every 20 mins and is open top which can be fun on a normal wet day! I use this with my bike from Ambleside to Windermere as the A591 is not a nice road to ride on, especially up hill into Windermere with close passes. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/routes/cumbria-and-north-lancashire/599/grasmere-bowness-on-windermere/xnao599.i

There is also a Bike Boat from Brockhole to near Wray Castle May to September Sat and Sun, Monday to Friday as well July and August. https://www.windermere-lakecruises.co.uk/cruises-fares/bike-boat

My favourite route to reach my elderly Mum is to get off the train at Staverley (steep steps) and then cycle via Mislet to Troutbeck Bridge and then the cycle path to Brockhole. Ferry to Wray Castle (coffee) and then on to Skelwith (or Ambleside etc). The Bike Boat pm is mostly bringing people back from the west side of Windermere, so a 15:00 ish run often means I have a personal cruise. Very civilised!