Cycle hire

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
roberts8

Cycle hire

Post by roberts8 »

I may have a few day break in the summer and looking at budget flights I was thinking of flying out and getting a hire bike for a couple of days and getting in a few miles
No destination decided yet
I could take a roll bag or small rucksack but could take my panniers and a sturdy lock
Can I take out insurance against theft or is it covered on my own holiday insurance?

Only ever taken my own bike but for a short break it might be more cost effective to hire.

Any thought will be appreciated.
whoof

Re: Cycle hire

Post by whoof »

It depends who you are flying with where/when you are going and what you are hiring.

EasyJet's carriage for bikes (classed as sports equipment) is £35 each way.

I used to regularly hire bikes in the Netherlands from various locations for 9-10 Euros a day. They usually came with a rack and I tried always get one with as many gears as possible (sometimes they had as many as 7) as riding into a howling head-wind for a hour in a single gear (too high) isn't much fun.
By contrast if you are hiring a road/racing type bike in the Alps in July a quick search shows one place with a minimum of 3 days hire at a total of 117 Euros.

You also need to consider getting your bike to and from the airport, packing, possible damage in flight. If hiring; fit and comfort and damage or theft of the bike during your hire.

I do a two week tour of Europe each summer and take my touring bike. In September I spend a little over a week in Majorca at a fixed base and hire, Majorca has relatively competitive hire rates.
roberts8

Re: Cycle hire

Post by roberts8 »

Thanks whoof the Dutch idea sounds ok and hire. Other than that I may just use Portsmouth ferries as they are only an hour away but this dreaming up options is what the winter is for. Looking forward to sunny days with a following wind.