Cycling from Geneva to Genoa...surprising the wife!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PDQ Mobile

Re: Cycling from Geneva to Genoa...surprising the wife!

Post by PDQ Mobile »

You could of course follow the Rhône, down hill all the way to the sea. And then along a bit to Genoa.
The coast road is I believe pretty awful. Though there are quieter passes over the Alpes Maritimes.
Col de Larche for example.
Weather advice as above!

The Rhône valley is of course justly famous for excellent wine. :D
Others will doubtless advise on the feasibility of this.
Sur le Pont d'Avignon!
Matt25

Post by Matt25 »

Hi,

I rode from Geneva to Milan over the Simplon Pass. It was great. I wasn't terribly fit at the time, and riding a loaded 1951 Raleigh with a three speed sturmey hub gear. I was 43 at the time. I just took it easy and got off to push occasionally. My daily mileages we around 50 miles too.

Plus if the weather is bad you can take the train through the mountain!

Matt

Ps- I should add that, if memory serves, the riding to and from the pass is relatively easy.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Valbrona wrote:Go on major roads in northern Italy and you will die.
Go on minor roads in northern Italy and you might die.

Note that the Autostrada designation in Italy - blue signs - bars cyclists from lots of roads/tunnels.

The Autostrada signs are green, aren't they?
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

MarcusT wrote:... the Autostrada signs are green, aren't they?

yes, indeed they are, but on some SSV (Strade Scorrimento Veloce/High Speed Roads) you might find blue signs like the third here below that forbid access to ANY NON-MOTORIZED VEICHLE (e.g. bicycles)

ImageImageImage
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I supported some friends early August last year on a 6 day RAID alpine from Thonon les Bains to Antibes, going up to places like Col de l'Iseran there was snow/sleet on the way up, rain on the way down but mid 20s the next day up Izoard and even hotter (34C) the next day.
Make sure to check the passes and likelihood of snow at the time of year you plan to travel because not only would it make it extremely difficult but they potentially could be closed.
Good luck!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Valbrona wrote:Go on major roads in northern Italy and you will die.
Go on minor roads in northern Italy and you might die.

Note that the Autostrada designation in Italy - blue signs - bars cyclists from lots of roads/tunnels.

Yes, we found that Italian driving is terrible, (well I did in the support van) certainly worse than ours, their motorcyclists are just awful/selfish cretins. We didn't spend long in Italy, a full days cycling split over two actual days but it was enough and we/I were pretty thankful to get back into France. The std of driving is night and day :shock: