What Type of Tyres for LLC

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
phil parker

What Type of Tyres for LLC

Post by phil parker »

I'm going to cycle the Lon Las Cymru around Easter time and will cycle by road only from Hants/Wilts to the north coast of Wales around the coast to Bangor then join the LLC from there to Chepstow. It will then be road only again perhaps via a friend in Somerset then back home.

I see on YT that many cyclists complete the route on touring bikes without special tyres, but when I see some sections of the track I'm not sure my touring tyres would be up to it especially when wet?

I've not yet decided whether I will use my Thorn Exped with 26" fairly wide tyres or my Genesis Croix de Fer with up to 700x32, but I will be camping and expect about 17kgs of luggage all including.

Has anyone got any recommendations regarding tyre choice? Any other advice welcome!
whoof

Re: What Type of Tyres for LLC

Post by whoof »

I've ridden LLC from Chepstow with 25 mm tyres and carrying a single pannier and had no problems. Supposedly the section from Cardiff isn't too good and there were a couple of options between off-road and road sections were I choose road. I got advice on here regarding which sections to miss out I'll try and find the links. There can also be issues with various bridges, I think Barmouth was one, being closed and detours although I think everything might be OK again now.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are tough enough and roll well. They strike a nice balance for touring. They will take some rough surfaces too.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

pwa wrote:Schwalbe Marathon Supreme are tough enough and roll well. They strike a nice balance for touring. They will take some rough surfaces too.

That's what I used on the LLC. There was one very rough section of about 100m that I walked to avoid damage but otherwise it was fine. Great route.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Don't worry about your tyres ability, you will be fine on either of your options. OTOH do make sure your tyre pressures are suitable for your loaded weight. I prefer to set off on tour with new tyres but at the very least give yours a thorough inspection for damage - loaded touring will exacerbate any damage and wear, especially on unmade surfaces.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86319&p=778811&hilit=lon+las+cymru#p778811
Here a link to the same question when I asked it a few years ago.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Thanks all for the replies so far. I already have Marathon Supremes fitted to my Thorn Exped, which are in great condition. I am always particular about tyre pressures and tour with a decent pump and gauge. I do have some Marathon originals, which are much more resilient and puncture proof, but it's like riding on sand for rolling resistance.

I will read the link to the preview topic as soon as I get chance this morning.
pwa

Post by pwa »

phil parker wrote:Thanks all for the replies so far. I already have Marathon Supremes fitted to my Thorn Exped, which are in great condition. I am always particular about tyre pressures and tour with a decent pump and gauge. I do have some Marathon originals, which are much more resilient and puncture proof, but it's like riding on sand for rolling resistance.

I will read the link to the preview topic as soon as I get chance this morning.

I'd stick with the Supremes. You might still get through without a puncture.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I had a quick look at the route and these were the deviations/off road sections I made.

llc1.jpg
From New Bridge on Wye I went on the road (red line) for about 5 miles, some of it was A road but there was little traffic.

llc2.jpg
The offroad section from Dolgellau was compacted gravel and was fine with 25 mm Durano plus tyres. I might be mucky if it's rained a lot.

llc3.jpg

We wanted to have a look at Harlech Castle so we took the lower road. We had also heard that the higher road marked '2' was a bit rough. However, someone had said it was one of the highlights of their trip
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Thanks, again, that's useful information, I also intend on visiting Harlech Castle. I can make either bike capable of going off-road, but I will also be covering a few hundred miles of road cycling and I don't really want to carry an alternative set of tyres. I'm not bothered about substituting some sections of rough track for road, but I am also looking forward to some traffic free sections as well and of course doing something different from my normal mile-munching tours.

If I was on my own, I wouldn't hesitate to use my Thorn Exped, which is considerable slower over a set mileage on the road, but a friend will join me somewhere in N Wales and I don't want to slow him down too much as he will probably be on an Airborne Zeppelin, of which my Croix de Fer could probably keep up, fitness difference aside! If I do use the Thorn, I will retain the Marathon Supremes.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Another vote to say you should be fine. The only properly rough bit was the old coach road section near Newbridge. That was pretty rought and stony in places but largely worth it - very pretty and good to be away from the main roads - worse comes to the worst the roughest part wasn't a long stretch if you needed to walk. I was on continental contact 32s and was fine.

http://www.richmay.co.uk/llc/
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Barmouth to Doglellau section is a doddle on 32mm touring tyres,likewise the section to Porthmadog but the higher(no2)road is small lanes,uneven in parts but no problem really.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Thanks again, I'm getting reassurance to use my Croix de Fer with 32mm's on - I might even treat myself to a new pair of Marathon Supremes for the trip as the Gaitorskin Hards are looking a bit worn - good enough or training though.

Captain Offensive - thanks for the link to you blog, I shall have a read this weekend!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

phil parker wrote:Thanks again, I'm getting reassurance to use my Croix de Fer with 32mm's on - I might even treat myself to a new pair of Marathon Supremes for the trip as the Gaitorskin Hards are looking a bit worn - good enough or training though.

Captain Offensive - thanks for the link to you blog, I shall have a read this weekend!

Or perhaps a pair of these:- https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/ ... lding-tyre :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

That's a very good price, Mm... I might just have to have a look at them - and whatever else they've got in their sale!