Aldi Selling Down Sleeping Bags Next Week £40

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

Re: Aldi Selling Down Sleeping Bags Next Week £40

Post by mercalia »

I think the weather a good test at the moment for it Aldi? get one of your employees to try it tonight :wink: you can always get another employee :lol:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Written a post but not finished so I thought I would post this link.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... steps-i301

"Choosing a Sleeping Bag - we've broken it down into four steps..

Step 1 - Decide the EN Rating that you need? - The EN13537 is the independent standard is used by nearly all reputable sleeping bag manufacturers and it produces two key ratings, the first is the 'Comfort Rating' which is the lowest outside air temperature at which a standard Woman can sleep comfortably in the bag. The second rating is the 'Lower Comfort Limit' and is the lowest outside air temperature at which a standard Man can sleep comfortably in the bag.

Both these ratings assume the sleeper wears a baselayer, hat, socks and insulating pad. In theory Men should be interested in the Lower Comfort Limit, and Women the Comfort rating. However one component of being warm is our metabolism, some of use will 'sleep warm' and others will 'sleep cold' - a knowledge of our own tendency will also inform our decision. Therefore if you are a man and the lowest temperature you expect to use the bag in is 0C then look for bags with a 0C Comfort Limit, but if you are a cold sleeper you may want to go for a -2C or even -5C bag."
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Just seen these today in my local Aldi (Saffron Walden in Essex) being sold out at £30.

This is correctly sold as a 2 season down bag, so it will be less warm than any 3 or 4 season bag, and may also appear to have have less stuffing than many 2 season synthetic bags. I bought one at £40 as a one-off alternative to cheap hotels on long summer rides. The filling is indeed a bit thin and a bit quill-y, but the bag is much smaller and lighter than my 4 season down bag that is way too hot for summer, and than my 3 season synthetic bag that is still huge when rolled up.

If you want to cycle to Everest basecamp in winter, this will not be ideal, but if you want a cheap and compact way to carry a Plan B from late spring to early autumn in the UK, £40 is less than a night in a budget hotel.

You get what you pay for. You can get a much nicer 2 season down bag for £150 - £200, and a top of the range customised made-to-measure version in a colour of your choice for £600. I expected, and got, quite a bit less for £40, but still expect to be a warm enough and happy camper, and will have a bit of cash left.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Now £19.99 in Spalding Aldi.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pete75 wrote:Now £19.99 in Spalding Aldi.

Thanks for that pete. May check out my local London aldi.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
pete75 wrote:Now £19.99 in Spalding Aldi.

Thanks for that pete. May check out my local London aldi.

well Sweep you should take the hint they not much good and dont waste your money on them or cheap Wilko chains :wink:

might be useful if you take a small dog on holiday :lol:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well i don't know about the wilko chains. We've not had reports back. Maybe I missed out.

Though I acknowledge that anything above the very bottom of the sram range is good.

That bag at £20 might have uses in warmer climes and is quite possibly better than the bag I interrailed round europe in as a youth.
Sweep