Aldi Selling Down Sleeping Bags Next Week £40

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
colin54

Re: Aldi Selling Down Sleeping Bags Next Week £40

Post by colin54 »

mercalia wrote:would any one like to say how big they are?

some said that the inteded use is for fishermen to keep their legs warm? Well Alpkit have or had some nice elephants feet that pack small but expand really large ( I have one )

In the picture of the bag spread out that I posted earlier ,the sofa it's spread out on is 6ft 6 inches long to give you an idea

of it's length, it's a normal sleeping bag, I also noticed it has a pocket on the back of the head end to take a a pillow.

Mercalia I take your point that it might be a bit thin (to use in early spring for example).

I'm not sure whether to return it and go for a decent 3 season bag, I suppose if I don't like it I could always use it for catching eels.
Nu-Fogey
ossie

Post by ossie »

mercalia wrote:would any one like to say how big they are?

The label says 223cm /225 cm long by 80cm wide. I'm 6'1 and fit in it fine, plenty of room with the my head in the hood.

That said the filling appears extremely sparse despite me fluffing it up. I'm pretty sure there are compartments in the upper area of the bag with no filling at all. Also in two minds to return it or not having now taken it out for a closer look. I'm not sure I'd feel that confident setting out on tour with it.The zip isn't exactly heavy duty either, also catches a bit.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I had a look at one today. It looked sparsely filled and was larger than my 2 season bag albeit 100g lighter. Decided not to buy one . If its discounted will reconsider.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Perhaps useful to "bump up" the thermal rating of another sleeping bag, although I won't be too keen for the extra weight&bulk :(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
ndmbike

Post by ndmbike »

I had a look at one today.
At £40 it seems good value.
However 'you get what you pay for'.
A feel of the 'down' through the fabric reveals that it is quite 'feathery'; you can feel the quills.
I think it is better to spend a bit/lot more and get a bag with better quality down that fluffs up really well.
I couldn't find any 'fill power' rating for the down they use.
I suspect a modern hollow fibre bag would be just as good and easily washable/dryable.
If I didn't already have three down bags, I'd have got one but 'She who must be obeyed' would probably spot it and then there would be trouble!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag that I can use on one trip where it may (probably will) be below freezing most nights but is supported, but also use bike packing on a summer trip in the UK

Having gone in a few shops yesterday the 3/4 season bags were massive and probably too warm for sumner. So is layering an option? I was thinking a 2 season bag, sleeping bag liner (silk?) and wearing merino wool tops and bottoms

I know I can probably spend £250 an buy one that will probably do everything but don't want to do that before I've tried it - I generally prefer a B&B, but where I'm going this isn't an option
whoof

Post by whoof »

mnichols wrote:I'm looking to buy a sleeping bag that I can use on one trip where it may (probably will) be below freezing most nights but is supported, but also use bike packing on a summer trip in the UK

Having gone in a few shops yesterday the 3/4 season bags were massive and probably too warm for sumner. So is layering an option? I was thinking a 2 season bag, sleeping bag liner (silk?) and wearing merino wool tops and bottoms

I know I can probably spend £250 an buy one that will probably do everything but don't want to do that before I've tried it - I generally prefer a B&B, but where I'm going this isn't an option

I have a lightweight sleeping bag that I use for summer and if it gets a bit colder I supplement with one of these (212g) blankets.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/XA107.html
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I have a fleece liner 600g which I have used in the winter inside my 2 season. Wasn't quite freezing but I was warm enough. Got it at millets £8 in sale
irc

Post by irc »

mnichols wrote:Having gone in a few shops yesterday the 3/4 season bags were massive and probably too warm for sumner. So is layering an option? I was thinking a 2 season bag, sleeping bag liner (silk?) and wearing merino wool tops and bottoms

What about a 2/3 season bag. Good enough for down to freezing IE 3 season UK conditions but still usable all year round. For colder than this I'd suggest boosting it with a lightweight down jacket and merino bottoms.

For £139 this looks hard to beat.

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940971/ ... gLJgfD_BwE
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

irc wrote:
mnichols wrote:Having gone in a few shops yesterday the 3/4 season bags were massive and probably too warm for sumner. So is layering an option? I was thinking a 2 season bag, sleeping bag liner (silk?) and wearing merino wool tops and bottoms

What about a 2/3 season bag. Good enough for down to freezing IE 3 season UK conditions but still usable all year round. For colder than this I'd suggest boosting it with a lightweight down jacket and merino bottoms.

For £139 this looks hard to beat.

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940971/ ... gLJgfD_BwE

Would this be too warm for a british summer? Is it small enough to carry on a bike with a mat?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Mine has gone back despite my initial enthusiasm.

I've settled on a Terra Nova Elite 350 which would appear to be 2/3 season down bag...reduced to £119 here http://www.uttings.co.uk/p119995-terra- ... nS8kqhl-Uk

Weight 848g
Pack size 24 x 16 cm
Comfort lower limit 0 c
radek

Post by radek »

I went to Aldi and had a look on one of these sleeping bags - no thank you, it is not for me... seems to be low quality.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Checked one out in-store yesterday. Yes it was very compact indeed, but though I have no experience of down I couldn't see it being very warm at all.

May consider as a warm summer bag or even as a liner for my mountain equipment bag for extreme temperatures, but only if I found it further reduced.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Sweep wrote:...as a liner for my mountain equipment bag for extreme temperatures

Sleeping bags tend not to make very good sleeping bag liners as they're too bulky and trying to fit all that stuff will just compress the insulation so it won't work so well. Rather less effective than 1 bag of the same weight.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If you want to use it to add extra warmth, better to open it and use it as a covering quilt.