Italy/Greece in July too hot?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HoldenC

Italy/Greece in July too hot?

Post by HoldenC »

Hello!

I’m planning a long cycle tour in July that includes Italy and Greece.
Unfortunately I can’t do any other month.
I’m worried about it being too hot to be enjoyable - is this likely to be the case?

Please let me know your experiences!
landsurfer

Re: Italy/Greece in July too hot?

Post by landsurfer »

Greece in July .... 40 deg c of hell .... UNLESS ...
You ride very early morning and be in the pool or sea for mid-day.
Which i have done on a number of occasions.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

HoldenC wrote:Hello!

I’m worried about it being too hot to be enjoyable - is this likely to be the case?

I guess it's a matter of what you find too hot. *I* would not enjoy Greece in July.

Northern and central Italy are likely to be okay. I would still likely want a break for the warmest part of the day on the warmest days, except maybe in the mountains and coastal areas, but I don't relaly like high temperatures. If you start in the north and work your way south, you may acclimitise as you go. If you find it too be too much, you can limit your tour, or head back north.

Coastal areas in Italy are likely to be *extremely* busy in July. You would need to book accomodation in advance.

Don't forget the sunblock.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Have you been in hot places before? It's very much horses-for-courses - I come alive when it hits the upper twenties, and can enjoy myself up to about 38 degrees; OTOH my wife, being Scottish, thrives in the cold and rain, but fades badly above about twenty-five!
Also, it definitely takes time to acclimatise: starting in Athens would be very different from riding to Athens.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

HoldenC wrote:Hello!

Put it this way, in Sardinia the road rides will start 6:30am because you want to be home by 10:00.
:mrgreen:

You could ride mid day, provided you carry lots of water. The sun and UV are fierce, it's all about what your body can take: if you're not used to high temperatures you may even collapse, so be sensible and see what your health is like.
Of course, a gentle ride with enough stops won't be a big problem, provided you keep yourself well hydrated.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

... also consider that above 37-38 degC your gps touchscreen, just in case you use it, under direct sun light might become somehow crazy ... so in this case it'd be better to rely on papar maps :shock:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I regularly ride in hot climates, high temperatures and high humidity (tropical countries). I like it and seem to be able to stand it quite easily. In contrast I hate the cold, wet, wind, etc.

However you need to take precautions. Normal cycling gear is no good as it leaves too many exposed bits. OK, you can coat yourself with sunscreen, but why expose just to cover in slime. I wear a long sleeved loose fitting poly cotton men's shirt. Collar to protect the neck, sleeves down to my gloves and double thickness on the shoulders. Also dries very quickly if you sweat and long enough to cover your bulge when off the bike.

I normally wear a cap, but as the sun rises, change to a small brimmed hat. This keeps sun off ears as well a face.

I usually wear lycra cycling shorts, but once the sun is up, I have a very lightweight pair of cut off trousers (below knee length) to keep sun off thighs.

This lot is probably not ideal if you are a lycra clad roadie pushing 30+ kph, but suits my more relaxed style.

Finally, merely by cycling, you create a breeze and I rarely feel hot on my bike - only when I stop. Often people walking wonder how I can cycle in the heat - I feign martyrdom and don't tell them its actually more pleasant than walking.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Italy is hilly to mountainous, is it still hot up the Appennines in the summer?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

The temperature typically drops one degree for every hundred metres of height gained, so a bit of relief, but not a huge difference unless you're in the Alps.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I was in France last year - not cycling - in only June, and the temperatures hit 36C for every day but one I was there. Wouldn't want to have toured in that, but other people are happy to do so.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
robing

Post by robing »

Why not? I've cycled in southern Spain in July during a heatwave! Starting early is a good idea. Make sure you have enough water if heading off the beaten track. I did find it too hot to camp, so sought out air conditioned accommodation where possible which wasn't too expensive in Spain.
borisface

Post by borisface »

I live in Portugal, where daytime temps get up to early 40's most summers. I like the heat and basically don;t get my legs out unless its at least 20 degrees and even then I have to think about it. Personally I find anything over 38/39 a bit much but when its that hot it only tends it be so for a few hours in the afternoon. You do acclimatise to temperatures relatively quickly. So my tips are

Start reasonabky early, avoid the time between say 2 and 4 when its hottest.
Drink plenty, and then drink some more.
In the summer, I always try to drink a litre of water before I start.
If possible freeze your water bottles as when they defrost the water will be cool for a while.
I tend to take one bottle of electrolyte drink and one water.
Have double bottle cages on your bike and if you want a seat mounted cage as well.
Stop every 30-40 mins and get out of the sun to cool down, that way you can avoid getting overheated.
Tip water over your head and round the back of your neck. Keep an eye out for water fountains/springs to aid this process.
Ride a bit slower than you usually would.
Wear a jersey with a full zip.
Wear the thinnest, coolest socks you can find.
Use at least factor 30.
Wear sunnies
Altitude can be surprisingly cooling the top of a col can be totally different from the valley. But then sometimes you won;t notice much of a difference.
Wear lightweight mitts as sweaty hands don't grip the bars that well.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:The temperature typically drops one degree for every hundred metres of height gained, so a bit of relief, but not a huge difference unless you're in the Alps.

But the UV could still be a problem?
Sweep
pwa

Post by pwa »

I've cycled in Italy mid summer and the key thing is to get up very early and be on the road by 8am latest if you can. Even earlier might be better. Then you have less time exposed to the highest temperatures. And allow for taking lots of water. Three big bottles per person as a minimum, refilling at every opportunity. On the flat or downhill you get some cooling from the breeze. Uphill is where you feel it. So take rests in shade, preferably with your feet in a stream.

I should add that I am a fair haired North European with low tolerance for heat normally, and even I can enjoy cycling in a hot climate most of the time. So take the precautions, sun block, water and all the rest, and enjoy it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sweep wrote:
nirakaro wrote:The temperature typically drops one degree for every hundred metres of height gained, so a bit of relief, but not a huge difference unless you're in the Alps.

But the UV could still be a problem?

Yes, and even at higher altitudes, it can be warmer on a sunny slope than in the valley below. Also, it's easier to get a sunburn at high altitudes, even if it's only 16 degrees. If it's cool, you may not be as likely to realise the need for sun cream.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom