Malta?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Rob Archer

Malta?

Post by Rob Archer »

I'm spending a week in Malta in February. It's a family holiday and visiting my daughter (who lives there). I went for a few days last year but didn't get a chance to look up cycle hire. I might be able to negotiate a day or two to myself this year and wouldn't mind exploring some quieter corners by bike. The driving culture there appears to be a cross between British and Italian style (!) and not particularly cyclist-friendly. OTOH people there say it's not as bad as it looks and there is the beginning of a shift towards cycling as a means of transport. So, two questions: anyone know of any reasonable cycle hire places? I'm staying in Mellieha in the north of the island. Also, any recommended routes? Up to about 30 miles and I don't mind hills! Any insight or experience welcome!
Outlaw13

Re: Malta?

Post by Outlaw13 »

I have hired bikes a few times on Gozo. They tend to be fairly basic steel framed mountain bikes. But that was fine as the island is only 9 miles long.
The ferries across to Gozo are frequent so it may be an option to take the ferry across and have a ride on Gozo. It's much quieter, only one set of traffic lights on the island. Quite a hill from the ferry up onto the island but fairly flat on the top. It's a lovely place and well worth the visit.
ConRAD

Re: Malta?

Post by ConRAD »

HERE a link that might be somehow useful, it's in Italian but pictures and maps including downloadable gpx/kml tracks are universal.
Malta ring is about 77km/969m+/paved
Gozo ring is about 62km/1314m+/maily paved

I've been there on January 2017, cycling around Valletta is a bit caotic indeed, Mellieha on the contrary is a good starting point either to Gozo and to Valletta along the east coast through an enjoyable cyclepath.