2 Month+ Trip/May/June+

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jack1

2 Month+ Trip/May/June+

Post by jack1 »

Hi,I'v got 2 plus months for a trip,starting St Malo need to return where I get back to Portsmouth by Ferry.Any Suggestions for a great trip,with great scenery :D Camping/B/B Many thanks.
JackRabbitSlims

Re: 2 Month+ Trip/May/June+

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

jack1 wrote:Hi,I'v got 2 plus months for a trip,starting St Malo need to return where I get back to Portsmouth by Ferry.Any Suggestions for a great trip,with great scenery :D Camping/B/B Many thanks.

Hug the coast out to Brest.......follow it down to Nantes.....ride the Loire Valley as far as you can with time available and look into Trains / Buses to return.

I rode this route last year in June / July - loved Touring in France :D
jack1

Post by jack1 »

Hi,thanks for your reply. :D
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

jack1 wrote:Hi,thanks for your reply. :D

There is wonderful riding all over Brittany.....you could spend 2 months pottering around in there if so desire :)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I am truly envious of riders who can get so much time.
I have to plan, scrape and beg to have a week, for a tour. Can't wait for retirement and hope to still have the energy to do the trips I dream about
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Usual sort of questions --- roughly what daily or total distance and any aversion to hills? I spend about a month year in France, your return need not be through the same French port, you have at least 4 that will get you back to Portsmouth.
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Gibraltar and back
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

With two months, I think I would just start riding, and go wherever took my fancy.

You can always take a train or bus, if you don't like it where you are?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robing

Post by robing »

Would it not be more fun to get a bus, train etc to a more distant destination and then cycle home? You could start from Gibraltar and get home easily in that time.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Over two months I would head from St Malo down to Eurovelo 6 via Rennes / Angers. Follow EV 6 eastwards and hang a right down to Lyon then Montpellier...head West to Toulouse and up to Bordeaux onto EV1 to Nantes. If enough time follow up to Brest. A nice big loop to the med and back on some fantastic dedicated cycling routes.

That said several people have mentioned taking the train. Its so easy in France you could womble about at your leisure . I guess it depends if you want the 'achievement ' of doing it without public transport and just your two legs.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Rather than rely on other people's choices, why not get a good guide book and see what appeals to you. You have plenty of time before you depart, so you should be able to work out what you would like to see. You can then try and work out a route to visit what you fancy (the Michelin road atlas should suffice for initial plotting of a route).

Two or three months of fun, reading, researching and planning. Enjoy.
AnyOtherName

Post by AnyOtherName »

How about, StMalo take the velodossey cycle route all the way to Bayonne (flat) then Pamplona to Santander ferry back to Portsmouth, you get to see some stunning Spain as well?
jack1

2+ month trip France/Spain May-June

Post by jack1 »

Hi,going on a cycle trip for 2+ months France/Spain.Would prefer not to many hills,lovely countryside,villages,some camping/b/b small hotels.Would welcome some routes :D if there's anyone wishing to join me for a week or to feel free to email me,arriving St-Malo 3rd May,thanks for looking ps fit 70yr old :D dkdavis9@icloud.com based in (Worcestershire)
PhilD28

Re: 2+ month trip France/Spain May-June

Post by PhilD28 »

If you are seeking a planned route to save the planning hassle you could do a lot worse than follow the Euro velo route that goes through Brittany then down the west coast to Spain, think it's Euro velo 1. Very easy riding.
If you are a bit more adventurous and want to make your own way just stay 20 or 30 miles in from the coast and plan each day using a simple Michilen map choosing minor roads.
I've riden the inland route many times heading to and from Spain, either way is easy, plenty of campsites and accommodation. My preference is unplanned quiet routes taking each day as it comes just stopping when I get tired and see somewhere I want to stay.
The Euro velo route is easy but some sections are unpaved and sandy that wrecks your chain, lots of cyclists do use it and you will always meet people if you like that sort of thing.

France must be one of the easiest countries in the world to just go without a plan, not as easy to camp as it used to be due to the closure of many municipal camp sites, although in some cases I just camp on the sites without facilities, no one seems to mind.
jack1

Re: 2+ month trip France/Spain May-June

Post by jack1 »

Hi,thanks for reply,will check that out.Thats given me a good option.Kind Regards (Darrell) jack1 :D