3 Week UK tour.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fossala

3 Week UK tour.

Post by fossala »

I have got just over 3 weeks booked off work in May and plan to use it for some touring. I have booked a train ticket to London to get me out the South West (not that I don't like it, just I've cycled quite a lot of it by now). I plan on cycling over to my Dads in Southend and staying with him for the night to say hi, after that I'm free!

One idea is to use NCR1 up to Inverness then back down with NCR7 and pop into Wales on the way back using NCR8. Plan on ending up in Bristol. Guess this is a bit less than 2,000 miles but I'll have to work it out later.

Anyone got any better ideas? I don't have a passport so I'm limited to the UK and I already have my ticket to London so Southend will be my starting point.

Now just have to count down the weeks.
pj76

Re: 3 Week UK tour.

Post by pj76 »

That seems great. You could take in also some of the really out there stuff, ride over the Humber Bridge, for example.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

After Humber bridge up through North York Moors then onto Middlesborough for the Tee's Transporter Bridge.
https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/parkin ... ter-bridge
Next one of the Tyne Tunnels :- http://www.tynepedestrianandcyclisttunnels.co.uk
On to Edinburgh and the "Old" Forth Road Bridge sets you up nicely for Inverness etc.
Lots of country in-between.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robing

Post by robing »

Plenty of time to get a passport. Head to harwich and get a ferry to holland.
PH

Post by PH »

Lucky you. My experience of cycling in the UK is some of the nicest routes haven't been where I'd been expecting and the surprise of it has added to the pleasure. I believe you could pick any two points and with a bit of planning have an enjoyable ride between them. Whatever your interests, maybe use them to link places, or maybe something completely random like linking place names. If I had three weeks in the UK I'd do a chunk of the BCQ, it'd take some planning to get the most from it but you'd get to see plenty of the country that you might not otherwise.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Cycle to the south west from London the long way. 3 weeks gives you a long distance

I'd go across the east of England, aiming to cross Leicestershire/Rutland, out the north east corner into Derbyshire along the Cloud Trail. From Derby you can pick up the Pennine cycleway all the way to Norham outside Berwick Upon Tweed, then take the B6355 through the Lammermuir Hills all the way into Edinburgh. Then a turn around and head over to Stranraer through the Galloway Forest and catch the ferry to Belfast, cycle to Dublin, ferry to Holyhead, LLC to Chepstow, then cycle home. Simple! ;)
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Consider trying to get to the Scottish islands, now they really are very special indeed. You could fly back from Inverness if you had to, or get a train. Tickets are pretty cheap if you buy a week or two in advance and travel off peak, in spite of what you read in the papers.
fossala

Post by fossala »

robing wrote:Plenty of time to get a passport. Head to harwich and get a ferry to holland.

It's annoying whenever you post something on the internet saying you want to do one thing someone will always pointlessly post something like this.
fossala

Post by fossala »

MartinBrice wrote:Consider trying to get to the Scottish islands, now they really are very special indeed. You could fly back from Inverness if you had to, or get a train. Tickets are pretty cheap if you buy a week or two in advance and travel off peak, in spite of what you read in the papers.

I thought about visiting the Scottish Island but I think I will just do that in a few years and dedicate 2/3weeks just to Scotland. When I did LEJOG the highlands where my favourite section.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Yes, that's a good idea. And you could fly from Brissle and ride north west from Inverness along that road classified as an A road but is a single track with grass growing in the middle of it.
For future years, Plymouth-Roscoff looks do able from where you live. You'd need a passport, obvs. (You might want to get a nice red EU one before we Leave, because you might be treated differently at immigration in France if you have a blue one issued by a "third country" which is what we'll become.)