EuroVelo 5

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
urfcanderson

EuroVelo 5

Post by urfcanderson »

Hello all,

I am booking a MTB tour for a group of 14.
One of the health and safety points of the trip is that we cannot use roads,
this is proving to be difficult but EuroVelo 5 is looking promising.

Could someone please inform me whether EuroVelo 5 uses roads between Luxembourg City and Basel, Switzerland.
Pavements are fine but I can't find any information regarding road use and was hoping I could get in touch with someone who had done it.

Kind regards,
Jack Anderson
Steve_UK

Re: EuroVelo 5

Post by Steve_UK »

Hi.

Download the GPX file for the route and use the free GPS Track Editor to view it (Windows only). It may be laborious, but you can follow the route to see where it leads.

You can also try using www.plotaroute.com or graphhopper.com to generate a route and download the resulting GPX.

Steve.
ChrisF

Re: EuroVelo 5

Post by ChrisF »

urfcanderson wrote: we cannot use roads

If you look at the the eurovelo page http://www.rhinecycleroute.eu/eurovelo-5 it suggests that the route isn't completed south from Luxembourg, only along the Rhine valley.
But even it it was complete, I doubt any cycle route of that sort of distance would avoid using roads at all. They will all use minor roads if they exist and are in the correct place; minor roads probably won't have pavements; and all routes will have to cross at juctions with bigger roads.
Chris F, Cornwall