The Best Hostels in the World

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mercalia

The Best Hostels in the World

Post by mercalia »

well I didnt vote for any of them.

"Wanna see the world's best hostels? Our annual HOSCAR awards recognise the most amazing hostels around the world based on a whopping one million reviews from you, the people who went out to #MeetTheWorld in 2017. Every time you leave a review on the Hostelworld site, you're helping other travellers find the hostel that's right for them. We want to say a massive thank you for taking the time to contribute to our community."

https://www.hostelworld.com/hoscars/2018

any here know any of the very many mentioned?

some prices too high for mean old me :lol: but some mentioned a more respectable £8 or so

eg https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Hostel-Miran/Mostar/23551?dateFrom=2018-01-26&dateTo=2018-01-29&number_of_guests=1

INCLUDES BREAKFAST :shock:
Last edited by mercalia on 25 Jan 2018, 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Re: The Best Hostels in the World

Post by PH »

Some interesting places on that website, I hadn't come across it before, though a quick glance shows me I'm probably not their target market.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

High Cross Castle Troutbeck Windermere
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
scottg

Post by scottg »

This is place is quite nice, friendly, with a valet to park your bike.
No helipad, so not quite full marks.

https://www.relaischateaux.com/gb/franc ... arne-reims
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bryn Poeth Uchaf
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
buryman

Post by buryman »

Nant y Dernol with the eccentric warden, George who ended up living near Dolgoch hostel.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My favourite is Flåm Camping & Hostel. http://www.flaam-camping.no/

It's a beautiful place. The only thing I don't like about it is coin-operated showers. But if you are up for it, you can go for a swim in the fjord, instead 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

scottg wrote:This is place is quite nice, friendly, with a valet to park your bike.
No helipad, so not quite full marks.

https://www.relaischateaux.com/gb/franc ... arne-reims

:lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

As their search facility couldn't recognise 'Trier', I wonder how thorough their listings are?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Dean

Post by Dean »

Hostel Mostel in Sofia. The one in Plovdiv is alright too. Pretty basic but very friendly, with breakfast and an evening meal and beer. Well, in 2011 anyway.
robing

Post by robing »

The Gatliffe Hostels on the Outer Hebrides are hard to beat.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

robing wrote:The Gatliffe Hostels on the Outer Hebrides are hard to beat.

Second this recommendation.
Clean friendly and cheap. £15/ night I believe. I was there last May.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Slowroad wrote:As their search facility couldn't recognise 'Trier', I wonder how thorough their listings are?

Not very. there are lots of hostels I've been to missing.

I've been in two of the hostels on the list. Both in Italy. The one in Cinque Terre is a lovely location, but has no curfew. When I was there, it was very noisy into the wee hours of the morning. It seems to be as much by popularity as anything.
alex1987

Post by alex1987 »

Stayed in a hostel on the edge of Freiburg which had a big garden with a few saunas and steam room in it, as well as a small swimming pool. Didn't have my bike with me sadly but would love to go back with it - cycling up and down in the Black forest in the morning/early afternoon, then head back for a couple of house in the spa... Not bad for about £15 a night!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Stayed in a hostel on the edge of Freiburg which had a big garden with a few saunas and steam room in it, as well as a small swimming pool. Didn't have my bike with me sadly but would love to go back with it - cycling up and down in the Black forest in the morning/early afternoon, then head back for a couple of house in the spa... Not bad for about £15 a night!

I shall have to remember this one for my return to the Rhine next year - would love to visit Freiburg again, went 15 years ago, very impressed.
As a side issue, I'm sorting out a trip through several European countries and have discovered that not only does Belgium have two hostel associations, but so does France, and Germany has a second network of hostels on top of it's 100's of jugendherberge! Plus there are all the independent hostels too...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin