Semaine Federale

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
exisle

Semaine Federale

Post by exisle »

I'm thinking of going on the Semaine Federale in France (centred on Epinal this August) for the first time. Has anyone out there experienced a Semaine before? Have any tips or advice for me before or during the stay? :)

Thanks.
bikepacker

Re: Semaine Federale

Post by bikepacker »

You will probably get a lot of replies as many on this forum are regular attendees. I have only camped there so know little of booking accommodation but bookings for the campsite usually open around March. What you can expect is lots of cyclists many of them overweight Frenchmen trying to look like a pro but visibly tiring towards the end of the day. Also you will be riding well organised routes with a lot of entertainment along the way.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've been a few times.
We have camped - the camp site may be very large - the variability is such that we gave up on it. Also if it's wet it can be a bit disheartening.
We then tried dormitory accommodation - usually it's not a dormitory as such, though we did end up in one with individual roofless cubicles in a girl's school dormitory.
The University accommodation is usually quite good - the last time we went to Dijon which had individual rooms with en-suite facilities.
The downside was the year we found ourselves in a 4 bed room with another couple.
If you are going for dormitory accommodation it's probably best to book early - though I suspect ffct members get "first dibs"
There is also accommodation in the community - private homes - we haven't tried that but most people seem happy with it.
Hotels and gites are another alternative - Hotels tend to be booked very early. A gite is good but again you need to get in early to find something in reasonable proximity.
The evening meals are good value and can be very sociable occasions.We would eat there most nights occasionally eating in the town.
There is also the possibility of a continental breakfast - we find that convenient because it puts us close to the start of the rides.
Generally it's possible to book on line - but it seems that different organisers have different ways of doing things.
It's a great experience - there are different ride distances to suit - for non cyclists there are walks and coach excursions.
Epinal is a nice place - we had planned to go but have decided to go to the pyrenees instead.
Last edited by ANTONISH on 29 Jan 2018, 5:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I went last year and in 2012. It was very noticeable how few cycle campers there were last year, fewer than 100 versus perhaps 500 in 2012. Hotels are probably booked already, sometimes there is dorm arrangements and always the option of lodging with locals. I have only camped. Rides get a lot of people from pretend racers to potterers, noticeable last year was the number on electric assist. To avoid the daily hoards I would suggest leaving early or late. The organisation is absolutely amazing, to cope with so many riders on so many routes each day is a fantastic achievement. A few years ago I came back through Epinal in mid July and it was pretty warm - 40 degrees warm! Booking last year was very much easier than in 2012, the forms were much clearer. They had a preloaded payment bracelet scheme for paying for drinks etc at their centres; this could be preloaded or loaded at their centre on arrival and topped up if needed during the week. Cashing in left overs at the end of the week was easy too.
pga

Post by pga »

Definitely worth going to although this year the location in Epinal is a longish way from the Channel ports. we have camped and stayed in self catering and catered apartments and hotels. All have their pros and cons just as Semaine Federale itself. Catering varies - we have self catered, used the SF catering and eat out in town - the smaller venues have less choice of the latter obviously. Mixing the choices during the week is a good bet but perhaps the Closing Night at the SF tent is best avoided = too rowdy for some of us.

One thing is always constant - the rides are brilliant with a choice of four or five well signed daily rides varying from about 30k to 180k through the best countryside with great food stops every 20k or so.

Highly recommended - the French make great hosts.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

[quote="pga"but perhaps the Closing Night at the SF tent is best avoided = too rowdy for some of us.

[/quote]
Highlight of the week for us :D - I suppose it depends on what you define as rowdy . just some good humoured waving handkerchiefs and dancing on tables with competitive singing. Usually not held in a tent - though there was a very large one at Cernay with a separate first aid tent. I helped to carry a few intoxicated bodies out. :mrgreen:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Another thing about the Sem Fed -- it is CHEAP. It is quite possible to book meals if you want them during the week you are there instead of in advance. If like me you are camping, this means that the combined camping and registration fee is something like £60 (I cannot recall from last year, maybe a little more) which is cheap enough that if you decide you don't like it you can go leave and go elsewhere.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

bikepacker wrote:What you can expect is lots of cyclists many of them overweight Frenchmen trying to look like a pro but visibly tiring towards the end of the day.

And many of them snide Brits.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

some one like to explain what the SF is?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

FFCT (French equivalent of CTC as was) have an annual rally called the Semaine Federale (equivalent of Birthday Rides only many many times larger).

Typical attendance around 10,000 most of whom bring camper vans so there are acres upon acres of them. Other accommodation options include camping, dorms, staying with locals, hotels etc. Meals by arrangement if required. Multiple on and off road routes each day each with a route card/map and superbly signposted on the road. Villages along the route put on informal food and entertainment, as do the "official" stopping points. Walks and coach trip options, plus evening entertainments.

2018 website http://sf2018.ffct.org/
exisle

Post by exisle »

Many thanks to all on this Topic for the replies. :)

Spent an hour or two trying to find accomodation near the town - everything going fast. Finally, managed to find an hotel just two/three miles from Epinal centre. Not cheap but average...Anyway, I've passed the stage of putting up with moving my gear in order to use the bathroom; wardrobe doors falling off hinges, etc!