Train to Spain

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Petercartlidge

Train to Spain

Post by Petercartlidge »

We are travelling to Malaga at Easter and planning on taking our bikes with touring/camping gear. We would like to go by train but not sure what the rules are on French and Spanish trains ref assembled bikes. We went to Italy last year but that was with folders and it was very easy. Does anyone have experience or advice to give.? Thanks Peter and Claire.
chris_suffolk

Re: Train to Spain

Post by chris_suffolk »

This is the site you need for all things train related.

https://www.seat61.com/

Advice on almost everything in my experience, and usually quite up-to-date too
robgul

Post by robgul »

Captain Train is the best site - it tells you precisely which trains take bikes, with online bookings.

That said I fear that the TGV to the S of France don't yet take bikes ...

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mjr

Post by mjr »

robgul wrote:Captain Train is the best site - it tells you precisely which trains take bikes, with online bookings.

That said I fear that the TGV to the S of France don't yet take bikes ...

Lyon route doesn't yet, but the Atlantic does, as do the sleepers. See https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm#Spain for some sleeper options, but you'll have to work out the TGV Atlantic yourself.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Another option is to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao (or Plymouth/Santander)and then train to Malaga. Maybe fewer train changes needed.
Chris F, Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There is always the option of partly dismantling the bikes to get them into the luggage limits. I've done this in the past using a home made lightweight bag with pipe lagging and bubble wrap etc to protect my bike. At one time there were very few opportunities to carry assembled bikes on TGV
I did Calais to Lyons with camping gear and took the regional train to get to Albertville.
There was a bus for part of the way due to some problem - no arguments about my luggage though.
The old night trains have unfortunately been discontinued - these allowed assembled bikes.
Also did Nice to Calais with a companion in the same way - that was with luggage but not camping gear.
I seem to remember that there was a TGV from Rouen to Narbonne that took bikes. Dieppe ferry local train takes bikes to Rouen. From Narbonne I think there are regional trains over the Spanish border.
Someone should have the knowledge - you have various sites.
As has been said Capitain Tren is a very good site - I think it has been taken over recently. "Bonjour la France" gives an indication of various available routes - it's timetables are suspect though.
The ferry option to Santander or Bilbao is good but expensive.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I looked into a similar journey last year. The SNCF site is a nightmare to deal with. It only seems to want to deal with ICE and TGV services and is difficult even with these. The best website for trains in Europe is the Deutschebahn site although you cannot book on it AFAIAA. It has all the local provincial French train services and times on it and Spanish as well although cannot confirm the latter. It makes journey planning far easier. Then the hard bit is actually booking a journey once you have found a convenient route, time and fare. As I say the SNCF site is a nightmare and will often draw a blank for services other than TGV or ICE. There were specific TGVs in summer that would take bikes on the same train that you were travelling but your bike would have to be pretty much dismantled and in a bag/box. SNCF's unwillingness to carry complete bikes on the TGVs is such a pity especially given France is such a great country to ride in. It could take 2-3 days to get down to the Pyrenees from Calais by local services but at least you can take your bike with luggage no problem.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

If you use the French Language version of the SNCF website you have option to see which trains can take bicycles and book bicycle places.

Tim
whoof

Post by whoof »

Petercartlidge wrote:We are travelling to Malaga at Easter and planning on taking our bikes with touring/camping gear. We would like to go by train but not sure what the rules are on French and Spanish trains ref assembled bikes. We went to Italy last year but that was with folders and it was very easy. Does anyone have experience or advice to give.? Thanks Peter and Claire.

If go anywhere worthy of note, either due to being great or to avoid I would appreciate an update on your trip. I'm going to Malaga for a couple of weeks touring with camping gear in June. At the moment the rough plan was to visit; Ronda, Granada, Sierra Nevada and some of the coast to the South of Granada.