Balloch Aberfoyle Lochs to Drymen with winter camping.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

Balloch Aberfoyle Lochs to Drymen with winter camping.

Post by radek »

Hello,

I am planning a short and slow 3 day cycling trip starting this Sunday from Edinburgh by train to Balloch. Then through Aberfoyle and around the lochs. Finish in Drymen (or Stirling).

Here is the route plan
https://www.komoot.com/tour/26100062?ref=wtd

On the first day, wild camp near loch chon or ard. Next day, I want to camp near Callander.

Could I please get some opinions and tips for this route?
LollyKat

Re: Balloch Aberfoyle Lochs to Drymen with winter camping.

Post by LollyKat »

That's a lovely route - fairly strenuous in some places but with great views. Have a good time!
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Are you changing any of your gear from your last trip? Tent etc. Or keep the same setup?
radek

Post by radek »

Thank you LollyKat :D I cannot wait for this trip. This time I am traveling with a friend so it will be even more fun.

Nick 12, I love my tent and it is going with me. I am quite happy about the setup from my last mini trip in Cairngorm. I am changing only four things =

Sleeping mat
Instead of my huge xxl size foam multimat I am taking a smaller but heavier multimat summit 25/38 xl. I have slept on it last night and it feels fine. The tog rating on this is crazy high so I am hoping to sleep warm. It is predicted -2 at night.

Small hot water bottle
Last time I have used one of my bicycle bottles, but I found them less efficient that a proper rubber hot water bottle.

New down jacket
I found a hyper down jacket for 59 in tk Max discounted from 140!!! Made by Columbia.

I am not taking my snugpak jungle bag
It is a lovely piece of equipment buy now I have a warmer sleeping mat and a new jacket and also a silk liner so snugpak is staying at home. However, it is a great piece of kit... I will miss it a lot but I need to compensate for the weight of my new sleeping mat.

That's all.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Should be ok with your new tackle. I like to camp in the winter too. All the best radek . Be safe and enjoy.
radek

Post by radek »

Thanks Nick12. Winter is great a long as you are prepared. There are no midges!!!!!!!!! Winter nights, although very long, are very relaxing. This year Scotland has got proper winter with snow and freezing temps. Souch weather conditions are actually great for cycling as long as you are prepared...
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Loch Chon brings back good memories. Not been there for 30 years so no information on camping but scenery spectacular.
I swam across it but I guess you'll skip that?

Latest Scottish Weather warning is interesting. But you'll be following that.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
radek

Post by radek »

Matt2matt2002,

I am checking daily tweets from the Met Office and Traffic Scotland. It will get colder. There may be some snow on Saturday, but Sunday is looking fine. The snow from Saturday will melt on Sunday. I expect (hope) that there is salt on roads. However, sometimes there are patches of ice left, especially in the lower parts of the road. I am most concerned about the cycling conditions on the north shore of Loch Katrine, but it is only 10 miles so it is doable with occasional pushing…

Current weather forecast is much better then the weather I had during the December Cairngorms cycling. Last time, I have been cutting through proper snow and fully frozen paths and I am glad that I took MTB 1.95 tires. This time I am thinking about wearing my usual 1.75 Marathons?

Regarding swimming through the loch, NO WAY :) But I would love to do it in the summer !
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I doubt if you will get anything like the snow that you had in the Cairngorms - for a start, you route is not as high. The smallest roads probably won't have been salted but there won't be much traffic either. The north shore of Loch Katrine is closed to motor vehicles altogether, apart from the very occasional service vehicle.

I'm sure you'll have a good time and I look forward to seeing some photos - I really enjoyed the ones from your last trip. :D
radek

Post by radek »

LollyKat , thanks for the reassurance. I am have changed to thinner tires. The bicycle is ready packed for the trip tomorrow :lol:
nick12

Post by nick12 »

How was the trip out of interest? A few cold nights I guess. Hope you enjoyed it.
radek

Post by radek »

Sorry for taking my time to let you know how the trip went.

During the first day we had great warm weather with plenty of sun. The views were lovely from the beginning and all the way to the end of the trip. We spend the first night in a forest near Loch Chon. The night was warm and there was no wind. So I slept under the tarp only which was exiting :) Actually we both found this night too warm.

During the second day we have really enjoyed the loch Katherine. Second day was overcasts and it was cold buy still no wind. There were some hills to climb but we had plenty of time. Then there were some great downhills to enjoy.

We have spent the third night on she shores of Loch Venachar. The temperature went bellow zero and it was snowing through the night. I slept warm and even had the doors to my tent open so there was no condensation inside.

We woke up to a lovely winter view. The hills were covered in snow and there was ice on roads. The sun was back on the sky. We have negotiated the roads without problems going at a slower pace. Next, we took a break in Callander. The way to Dunblane was also nice.

Taking all together this was a nice slow pace and enjoyable bicycle tour with some amazing landscapes :mrgreen: BTW. I am missing my foam mat. The new mat is very very warm, but I think that I got used to the foam :!:

Link to photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139077418@N05/
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Hi radek thanks for the update. Enjoyed the photos some good scenery . I like the addition of the tarp in your camp. :D