Auvergne cycle routes

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BigTrev

Auvergne cycle routes

Post by BigTrev »

My hubbie and i are planning a 5 day cycle route around the Auvergne in July. It looks fantastic. I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations of must see places, great places to stay or trips not to miss. Thanks in advance
aquilo

Re: Auvergne cycle routes

Post by aquilo »

Hi
Cycled there from St Malo in Mid April hoping to cross the Pas de Peyrol , but it was still closed in April, should be fine in July. Nice ride up from Salers, great views, in fact a stunning place overall. Finished in Clermont Ferrand and train home.

Nice cycling to get there, some great gorges supplying the Dordogne. Also never realised there was a ski resort there!

Links to my routes in the area below.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19926903

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19926917

Have a great trip
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Just to add, don’t miss a ride across the high Cantal area towards Mont Dor, second link above. Then take a ride up to the Col de Guery. Was going to post a picture but it would spoil the surprise.

Cheers
Last edited by Graham on 10 Feb 2018, 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It is possible for all users to edit a correction into their post.
BigTrev

Post by BigTrev »

Thanks for the recommendations - I can't wait!
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

30 years ago this was a touring area I visited 3 times when it was still "undiscovered" and quite old fashioned. I liked the area around Le Puy, statues and volcanic plugs; from where you can go up Gerbier de Jonc and the source of the Loire, which is near Le Monastier which is the start of Travels with a Donkey by Robert Louis Stevenson. I like this area which is pretty barren. Further north is the region of Le Forez which I did not like so much because it is dominated by forests of pine trees.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

We stayed in the area with friends last year, a few miles from the source of the Loire, and had a few days out on the bike. It's all good: I think you'd be hard-pushed to have a bad day's cycling.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides