Having S&S coupled touring bike built - 26" or 650b?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tbessie

Re: Having S&S coupled touring bike built - 26" or 650b?

Post by tbessie »

ubert767 wrote:My wife and I have owned a couple of Thorn Mk1 Rohloff S&S Nomads since 2007. The bikes (and the couplings) have behaved faultlessly and taken us on a number of overseas tours but we probably used the couplings for just 50% of those flights. I find the operation of the couplings to be an easy operation ( I flip the bikes over) but now I prefer to simply remove the front wheels and transport the bikes in polythene flight bags. The problem is that if split then there are two halves of the frame to clash inside the package and I have found it leads to more paint damage. The seperated halves don't play nicely when laid against each other.
The couplings are good if transporting the split bikes inside a car but for flights, not as useful as I thought they might be.

Rob

I bought a big roll of that velcro protective foam that S&S sells, and cut it to fit all the bike tubes. I wrap up the whole bike before packing, so nothing ever gets nicked or damaged.

- Tim