South America, water purification

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Kapalasa

South America, water purification

Post by Kapalasa »

I'm planning an extensive bicycle tour starting in South America later this year. I'm certain I'll need some form of water purification system, as at times I'll need maybe 7-10 litres of water, before the chance to refill.
Can anyone recommend a lightweight, practical system/solution?
Thanks.
SimonCelsa

Re: South America, water purification

Post by SimonCelsa »

I bought a packet of these last year for emergency use should I ever need to dunk my head in a polluted stream:

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/lifesyste ... lsrc=aw.ds

Haven't used them yet so cannot really comment as to their suitability or taste/taint.

Cons: Reasonably expensive....10 squid for 30 ltrs more or less

Pros: Light and easily packable

All the best, Simon
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thank you. Both these options offer solutions. I'd be keen to hear from anyone who's used the Sawyer Filter, it sounds amazing.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I also use Katadyn
https://www.katadyn.com/en/de/187-80176 ... yn-mini_eu

The Katadyn Mini is compact, has a fairly long life in terms of volume filtered, doesn't leave a taste, can be effectively cleaned if you have to use it in murky water, and the storage life is indefinite so the fact I bought it 18 years ago doesn't matter.
hufty

Post by hufty »

I've got the Sawyer Squeeze and I like it. If you do enough internet research there's rumblings of discontent about the Mini and for the weight penalty not worth the risk I thought. The Squeeze fits directly on the top of pop bottles, which was the way I used it, or they supply it with pouches and also a tube and adapters for gravity filtration. It works in the sense that you get water out of it, I assume it's doing its thing. You can let it dry out without risk of damage. If you're wanting to purify then carry litres of clean water you might be there a while, I carry unclean water then purify as needed. Backflushing is via a supplied syringe, which isn't ideal but isn't a problem.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
ndmbike

Post by ndmbike »

I've used these people's filters on a climbing expedition to Peru.

http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/

I have also used a 'drinkstraw' that they do as an emergency back-up when in the mountains in Morocco.
They seem cheaper than most other products.
I also carry some tincture of iodine. A few drops per liter will get rid of some of the particularly nasty bugs and the taste is not as bad as chlorine. It is not ideal for long term use but good for a short period and cheap from the local chemist.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

In Patagonia I was low enough that I could boil water at a temperature high enough to kill the bugs. If you are going high enough that water boils at a lower temperature then that's not an option, obvs. Boiling is best, easiest and cheapest. Tap water is often OK to drink, depends on where you are. Ask the locals and do what they do. But in general, you need to go very high indeed that water boils at temperatures low enough that bugs are not killed. And if you're riding a bike, you'll be near tarmac. Those road tend not to go high enough that altitude is so great that water boils at a low temperature.
So I'd ignore the lure of the marketing people. Boil the water and if you're still worried ask the locals.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

MartinBrice wrote:In Patagonia I was low enough that I could boil water at a temperature high enough to kill the bugs. If you are going high enough that water boils at a lower temperature then that's not an option, obvs. Boiling is best, easiest and cheapest. Tap water is often OK to drink, depends on where you are. Ask the locals and do what they do. But in general, you need to go very high indeed that water boils at temperatures low enough that bugs are not killed. And if you're riding a bike, you'll be near tarmac. Those road tend not to go high enough that altitude is so great that water boils at a low temperature.
So I'd ignore the lure of the marketing people. Boil the water and if you're still worried ask the locals.

Boiling at one time was the recommended method, bu times have changed.
First of all, the extra stove fuel you'll need to boil liters of water everyday can be bulky and heavy.
Secondly, Boiling only kills bacteria and virus, (but not all ) however, it will not remove toxins from the water.
Asking the locals is also not very helpful because they have built up immunity to what ever is in their water, that is why most tourists get Montezuma's revenge.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm flying into Rio in July, and then touring the Americas extensively. I'll bump this link back up after I've traveled a bit, to give you feedback on how I got on with this issue.