Flight bag for luggage

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AlanInBangor

Flight bag for luggage

Post by AlanInBangor »

There are regular threads for bike bags but I've not seen any for bags to contain tent, panniers and their contents. We had lightweight bags by HiGear, bought from Go Outdoors but they started tearing after about six foreign holidays, they've been discontinued and I've found nothing equivalent. In desperation I bought a Logic3 bag from ebay, not yet used but it's smaller and heavier.

Our routine was to take bikes in CTC/Wiggle bags, luggage in the HiGear bag and both would fold down sufficiently to take with us so we could return from a different airport. I'd be interested to hear of other people's experience. Photos of both bags attached.

Vorpal

Re: Flight bag for luggage

Post by Vorpal »

I've used military style duffles. They are heavier than light bags, but they last well.

I've also just strapped everything together with plastic or cardboard and tape, or used the plastic wrap service at an airport.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've just bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easyJet-cabi ... 2749.l2649

Sized for Easyjet/Jet2 hand luggage (but not Ryanair), holds about 60 litres, weighs 600g. Not used it yet, but it feels pretty robust.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I use heavy duty polythene. Normally from bed shop, but last time I needed some, I noticed a load of it outside a local pet shop as they were unwrapping a delivery. They were all too happy for me to take some.

Wrap up tightly then use packing tape to secure and seal. It's a good idea to make some sort of handle.

I've bought cheapo bags like that one on eBay to use for hand luggage on way home (150 baht in Bangkok). They do the job, but the plastic coating inside peels off after a while.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

We've used the Hi Gear bags for years, still ok but one has a dodgy zip, and a couple of small holes.

Trekmates seem to do a very similar bag https://www.traveloutdoors.co.uk/trekma ... orage-bag/

Googling 'rucksack backpack flight cover' brought up a selection of options https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... kBn0b4Qx4g
whoof

Post by whoof »

On the way out I use a cardboard box, free.
On return I often use a plastic decorators sheet from a DIY shop for a couple of Euros. It's thin but huge, so can be wrapped around multiple times with plenty of tape.
climo

Post by climo »

chinese laundry bags. Cheap, lightweight, reusable or leave at your campsite for the staff
from ebay
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

One of those zipped laundry bag things - come in various sizes, fold down to sit in bottom of pannier for trip and cost sod all so if it only lasts one trip it's not a disaster. I spent out to get one with a fancier design so it stands out from all the blue and white ones used by east Europeans for similar purpose.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've used IKEA bags £3 for the zipped version but bunjees and the other (open) version does the job

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/smar ... -90149148/

They are sold on ebay if you dont have a store nearby.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

We also enjoy doing A-to-B tours so fly with CTC bike bags and a packable holdall for the panniers.

We found that Chinese laundry bags could be of such poor quality that even surviving a single flight might be asking too much. The zips and seams often fail due to the weight of the contents.

We now use a packable holdall from Eurohike which is of a higher quality than the laundry bag: https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/100 ... ldall.html. It's lasted several trips now.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

nirakaro wrote:I've just bought one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/easyJet-cabi ... 2749.l2649

Sized for Easyjet/Jet2 hand luggage (but not Ryanair), holds about 60 litres, weighs 600g. Not used it yet, but it feels pretty robust.

Thanks for that. May check it out. I currently use a posher walk on bag for easyjet but i may be shortchanging myself on their allowance. Great thing about easyjet of course is that there is no effective weight limit on hand baggage - I like that simplicity. With a bike of course you also need hold luggage - no way will you get your tools etc through security.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Sweep wrote:With a bike of course you also need hold luggage

Very true - I've tried to get the bike into the cabin as hand luggage, but they weren't having it. :D
Seriously though, I've left the toolkit - and the tent-poles, which I imagine would be seen as a potential weapon - attached to the bike when I've packed it up, and not had it queried.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

nirakaro wrote:
Sweep wrote:With a bike of course you also need hold luggage

Very true - I've tried to get the bike into the cabin as hand luggage, but they weren't having it. :D
Seriously though, I've left the toolkit - and the tent-poles, which I imagine would be seen as a potential weapon - attached to the bike when I've packed it up, and not had it queried.

Never had any issue with stuff firmly attached to the bike or in the bike bag and I reckon i've pushed the envelope more than once! I have managed bike and hand luggage a couple of times this way, let me just say that having cutting edge lightweight kit helped and made that possible along with decanting a certain amount of stuff - camera for example into jacket pockets also helped. On those occasions i've got everything for hand luggage into one pannier including the other panniers and bar bag!

Just don't ask me how!

The folding bike in its case makes things a little easier but you still need to watch the weight - not helped by an 8kg case! But I have done it and as it's not a bike bag i've got through as just standard hold luggage at the lower cost that attracts. IME it's not weight that's the big killer but bulk for walk on stuff.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
AlanInBangor

Post by AlanInBangor »

Great response, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check out the holdall links. I'm happier with an enclosed bag than wrapping in a sheet, we spend long enough faffing about with the bikes so I like to make it as easy as possible to pack the luggage.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I purchased a cabin sized bag from Decathlon. Light and folds up into it's own pocket. Very cheap but it has been very suitable for my purposes.