A cycle touring thread - sorry no politics here!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tangled Metal

A cycle touring thread - sorry no politics here!

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm looking to take advantage of the collective knowledge of the members of this forum in the hope that they go cycle touring not just discuss politics! :wink:

We're a family of two adults and a 5.5 year old (at least come summer he will be). We want a relatively safe cycle route for a young child that's not completely road safe. It'll be not many miles per day because junior likes to ride on his own and not wheel up in the followme-tandem. Preference is France or Germany but getting there needs to be factored in.

My idea was to drive to UK ferry port, park car up at secure parking there and start the tour from there. The other idea was to spend more to take the car with bikes on top onto the ferry then drive to a better cycling part of France. Both options we're not sure about because family members who have travelled round a lot of the parts we'd be going through say the roads aren't good for kids.

Alternatively, the danube trail in Germany. Path alongside the river, very easy and child safe. The trouble is that it's harder to get to. Ferry and long drive to the start is obviously out with a 5 year old. Flight out then hire bikes is an option. Trouble is I've got a secondhand recumbent that I bought with summer holiday tours in mind. How easy is it to fly with a recumbent? Anyone done it? Or can you hire recumbents out there on the Danube trail? I own a HP Velotechnik streetmachine, a German brand. It would be good to hire one of them to do it.

So anyone with suggestions? Bearing in mind a 5 year old is in our group so we're probably going to limit the sensible options.
Toffee

Re: A cycle touring thread - sorry no politics here!

Post by Toffee »

I assume you have thought about Holland?

Can cycle all day on cycle paths
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How many miles or km can the little one do in a day? How fast does he go?
For a relaxing holiday I prefer to stay in one place the whole time
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

How about along the Loire? I have never been there but I know a couple who did it with a young child. They drove to one end, parked the car and used a trailer for most of their luggage.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Ostende, Bruges and Ghent are easily reached by following rivers, you can head to Oudenarde and Tournai also by following the rive from Ghent. Belgium is beautiful and very cycle friendly. Has the option of train bail outs between cities. Ferry to dunkirk is nice and easy.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Isle of Man or Ireland
Short ferry ride, fun for a child
Long journeys with a child are very trying
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

From the North of England to a warmer part of France (Dordogne latitude) will need a break somewhere. Could you get to the Tunnel in a day and then spend a night at a rest stop just the other side? French motorways are normally okay for doing high miles efficiently, so getting from there to a southerly destination won't be too bad. But motorways to the South East of France can clog in the high season. South West tends to be easier to get to (or is that just my experience?) during the holiday season.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

When our youngest was 5yo we camped at York at the Old Post Office site. He cycled to Selby and back (~20ml f I remember correctly) one day, with a number of stops and encouragement. We wouldn’t of wanted to do that every day. Indeed other excursions using the bike were a lot shorter using other York cyclng routes.
The next year aged 6 we had a wonderful week in Norfolk Cycling quiet lanes, pub lunches, and no hills. Not Cycling every day though.
If the OP is itching to get off touring on his recumbent, and if he’s anything like I was, it’s all I wanted to do. :D What I wanted to do wasn’t very compatible with a young family so compromises were made. My reward was a week, without family, at the Birthday Rides . Riding every day in good company and in those days all the village halls for tea and cake.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'll recommend Denmark as a holiday location. It's extremely family-friendly and the cycling is good.

It's a shame there is no ferry any more, but therre are cheap flights and plenty of hire bikes. I can't see taking a recumbent on a plane as being a problem, but I have to admit I haven't tried it.

I have flown a number of times with standard pedal bikes, and not had any real problems.

The other thing is, long drives are entirely feasible with children. When we moved to Norway, Mini V was almost 6 and Littlest was 3. We drove to the Channel tunnel, took the train, drove to Eindhoven, where we stayed overnight, drove to Jutland, where we stayed overnight again, took the fast ferry to Larvik, and drove from there to our new home.

We also sometimes take long driving or train trips with our children to other parts of Norway.

The main thing with kids is to break it up with stops to play, eat, or try something new. Also, give them something to do whilst travelling. Drawing, games, songs, etc. Littlest can't watch movies; he gets car sick, but he can play games on the iPad if they don't involve too much movement.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

+1 for Holland.

Several ferry options, safe cycling for junior and if you want to follow a river - well what's wrong with the Rhein?

As regards your cucumber, just be aware that routes like the Donau are not always the friend of such machines even if they are largely level. And they aren't always that family friendly either. I'd be inclined to step back a bit, wait until Jnr is a bit older before tackling anything that epic.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Following a well trodden route is a good idea with a young child - if only because you're likely to find accommodation much easier to find so it doesn't matter if the little one only wants to do 10miles, or stop early at lunch, etc.

With that in mind, the Loire would get my vote too. I must admit that I too have not ridden it, but I recently had a short break to the Loire and could immediately see the attraction of cycling there. The area is well set up for cycling and we saw lots of families with young children on their bikes. The towns are interesting (plenty of opportunity for ice cream) and if the cycling gets too much you could spend the afternoon at one of the numerous chateaux.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I rode the Danube path in 2016.
I could often ride for miles without encountering another cyclist but there are a lot of companies hiring e-bikes - so one could encounter a group of e-cyclists some of whom seemed indifferent to what side of the path they took. As they are travelling at speeds generally faster than the average cycle tourist I don't think it would be a good situation for a very young child to deal with.
France can be very nice particularly as there are many small quiet roads.
Overall I would agree with others that Holland is probably best for young child cyclists ( of course e-bike use is growing fast in Holland and there is a similar rise in cycling accidents )
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I stayed in a Gite near Gueret in France a couple of years ago. Not hilly, unless you want it to be, and roads are very very quiet. Described in guides I saw as the 'lost cycle region' of France. Myriad of small roads, and hardly any cars on them. Lots to do with a young child too, and within striking distance of Massif Central if you fancy a couple of mountains one day.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

The Loire valley is a good outing. Did it the other year with some friends who are not cyclists. Flat, a lot of it on designated / separate cycle tracks. Railway runs alongside, with many stations and dedicated luggage vans for bikes so bail-outs / catch-ups easily available, and accommodation plentiful. We drove to just west of Orleans, parked van for the week, train to Nantes, then cycled back ‘up’ leisurely (did it this way to have the winds behind us). Saw lots of children (some of whom made rather unkind observations about us ‘ancients’ going the other way ...), and a number of little ones with parents and with grandparents (we’re already planning a cycle holiday with our grandson).
http://www.cycling-loire.com/

The green ways of Brittany are also fantastic – old railways and alongside waterways, very peaceful. Last year we parked in Portsmouth, caught ferry to St Malo, then 5 min cycle ride round to the delightful ferry across La Rance to Dinard and pick up the old railway line from the centre. Lots of children in family groups cycling, beautiful countryside, cafes and restaurants mean you just want to relax in the sun.
http://www.reddogbooks.com/gw.html#sthash.5xWkwCyV.dpbs

Good luck.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Toffee wrote:I assume you have thought about Holland?

Can cycle all day on cycle paths

Last year. Great holiday but need a change.