Cycling in The Indian Himalayas.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JackRabbitSlims

Re: Cycling in The Indian Himalayas.

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

any helpful information on buying gas canisters for camping stoves in Delhi or Shimla??
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hi Steve, sorry to sound obvious, you have you done a Google search.

I just put in camping equipment in Delhi and got lots of stores. Had a quick look at one and it had a wide range of stuff - they call it trekking equiment. Couldn't see gas, but didn't have proper look as I am just about to hit the road (Malaysia East Coast). If you can't see, I'm sure they'll answer emails.

Good luck, Simon
JackRabbitSlims

Hey Simon,

Yes, I have had a good search around and it appears there are a couple of outdoor stores around Connaught Place that may stock the gas...have sent emails, but no reply yet.
Other stores in Delhi are out in the Burbs and I'll only have one day in Delhi and not keen to buzz all over the city hoping to find gas :)

Also 2 stores in Shimla that I have emailed, but once again, no reply as yet.

Not mission critical at all, but just thought I would ask.

Thanks for your help though - enjoy Malaysia!
Gary Ronald

Post by Gary Ronald »

A few years ago I cycled around India and took in the road from Srinagar in the West to Leh in the East, then over the Khardung la down to a place called Deskit. The roads are mostly track but I did the lot on a set of Crossroad Armadillo tyres. As for using loctite... I never had any trouble with bolts coming loose, but I drilled out any threaded part on the cycle I could and replaced them with bolts and nylock nuts. I had my cooker confiscated before I got on the flight to India so I had to rely on local food stops, this was not a problem. If I was to carry a cooker now I have a multi fuel stove that comes with a seperate fuel bottle.
If you need any photos, videos or advise on what you are letting youself in for, just ask.
I had a great time doing this trip, the scenery is stunning and the people are very friendly.
Good luck.
All the best.
Gary
JackRabbitSlims

Gary Ronald wrote:A few years ago I cycled around India and took in the road from Srinagar in the West to Leh in the East, then over the Khardung la down to a place called Deskit. The roads are mostly track but I did the lot on a set of Crossroad Armadillo tyres. As for using loctite... I never had any trouble with bolts coming loose, but I drilled out any threaded part on the cycle I could and replaced them with bolts and nylock nuts. I had my cooker confiscated before I got on the flight to India so I had to rely on local food stops, this was not a problem. If I was to carry a cooker now I have a multi fuel stove that comes with a seperate fuel bottle.
If you need any photos, videos or advise on what you are letting youself in for, just ask.
I had a great time doing this trip, the scenery is stunning and the people are very friendly.
Good luck.
All the best.
Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary.

I have already bought the Loctite and I'm going to use as a backup anyways, along with carrying spares and a regular preventative maintenance schedule while on the road :)

It seems Gas is available in Delhi, Manali, Leh and Shimla, so I will take the Pocket Rocket and a couple of pots as a backup.

Any other advice would be much appreciated!
If you have easy access to photos and video, perhaps send a link via PM? - That would be great!

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Steve.
Gary Ronald

Post by Gary Ronald »

Via PM? I am new to this site. How do I send via PM?
Gary.
JackRabbitSlims

Gary Ronald wrote:Via PM? I am new to this site. How do I send via PM?
Gary.

If you run your mouse over my handle "JackRabbitSlims" and then click on it....it will take you to another page where you will find a link that says PM: Send Private Message click on that and we can chat via Private Message rather than in this public forum :)
cornpedaler

Post by cornpedaler »

Hi Jackrabbitslims
I am riding the Kashmir/Ladakh ride this summer as well (June/July and forever how long it takes.)
I can recommend a good hotel in Parharganj. I've used them numerous times and always have had my bicycle and they offer a hotel pick up...I always have come in on one of those 2 a.m . flights....And no problems. I think their pick up service cost me around 8 dollars ( a couple of years ago).Smyle Inn is the name of the hotel...They are good, about 15 dollars a night but clean and helpful and communicative. The owner's name is Harish and he is helpful. I also left my bike box at the hotel for about 5 months!! (may have pushed the envelope there, but they never complained.).

I have contemplated the stove issue and have an optimus nova stove...multifuel which I feel works great. Because I am flying into Amritsar I am not counting on finding fuel canisters to buy (if I was to purchase something that uses a canister), so am going with my optimus.

Loose bolts happen. I usually check my bike once a week at least for loose parts when riding.
In Manali there are two shops that could be helpful to you. There is the Himalayan Bike Bar and there is a camping/trekking shop that has lots of good contemporary gear (but expensive). But maybe you won't be going through Manali.?

When are you going?
Enjoy your trip and maybe I'll see you going in the opposite direction!
Cheers,
Corinne
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Around Shimla even the taxis were having to have 3 goes at getting round the hairpins! And… watch the monkeys! Have a great time.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
JackRabbitSlims

cornpedaler wrote:Hi Jackrabbitslims
I am riding the Kashmir/Ladakh ride this summer as well (June/July and forever how long it takes.)
I can recommend a good hotel in Parharganj. I've used them numerous times and always have had my bicycle and they offer a hotel pick up...I always have come in on one of those 2 a.m . flights....And no problems. I think their pick up service cost me around 8 dollars ( a couple of years ago).Smyle Inn is the name of the hotel...They are good, about 15 dollars a night but clean and helpful and communicative. The owner's name is Harish and he is helpful. I also left my bike box at the hotel for about 5 months!! (may have pushed the envelope there, but they never complained.).

I have contemplated the stove issue and have an optimus nova stove...multifuel which I feel works great. Because I am flying into Amritsar I am not counting on finding fuel canisters to buy (if I was to purchase something that uses a canister), so am going with my optimus.

Loose bolts happen. I usually check my bike once a week at least for loose parts when riding.
In Manali there are two shops that could be helpful to you. There is the Himalayan Bike Bar and there is a camping/trekking shop that has lots of good contemporary gear (but expensive). But maybe you won't be going through Manali.?

When are you going?
Enjoy your trip and maybe I'll see you going in the opposite direction!
Cheers,
Corinne

Hi Corinne,

My apologies for the delay in getting a reply back to you......I have been in the Nepali Himalaya (Trekking) for the past 6 weeks and have enjoyed being "off the grid" during that time :)

Thanks for the reply.

A little has changed since my OP......
I am flying in to Delhi arriving from NZ on the 24th of May. After faffing around trying to make a decision on how to get from Delhi to Shimla, I finally decided on taking private transport on arrival in to Delhi.....perhaps a little indulgent, however, after longhaul from NZ, it will be nice to be met off the plane and driven to Shimla that same day. The vehicle can accommodate the boxed Bike and the driver / company comes highly recommended from a number of sources.

I settled on the MSR Pocket Rocket 2 as my cooker and I've been in touch with my driver in Delhi and he has managed to pick up some gas canisters for me already, so I'm good to go! I know there are shops in Shimla / Manali / Leh selling Gas, but it's nice to know that Ive got this sorted from day 1.

I've just started today to go over my bike / gear etc and make sure everything is in good shape for the trip to India. I'll be using Loctite Threadlocker on all rack bolts and a few other places that I feel need an extra level of protection :)
I'm pretty diligent on my bike prep and maintenance while touring, so I'll be giving the bike regular preventative maintenance!

I'm still looking at route options.......start in Shimla and head for Leh.......right now I'm unsure If I'll drop down to Manali as that will require some serious uphill work to get back on to that Route through to Leh.......having said that, riding the full Manali to Leh HW is appealing and I'm considering it.
Leh - Kargil - Srinagar - ??
I have 3 months in India so I'm just going to make it up as i go, but from the above you can tell the general route that I'm starting with.

Would be great to meet you going the opposite way?? Send me a PM if you want to swap emails / FB etc - If i can I'll post on Laura's FB page with updates on route, weather & road conditions as I go......although, I'm unsure how good wifi / comms will be??

Cheers.
JackRabbitSlims

al_yrpal wrote:Around Shimla even the taxis were having to have 3 goes at getting round the hairpins! And… watch the monkeys! Have a great time.

Al

Thanks for the well wishes :D