Paddington to Euston.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
benvrackie

Paddington to Euston.

Post by benvrackie »

Can any experienced London Cycle Commuters recommend a safe route for someone with a fully loaded touring bike and zero experience of riding in London. I've got to get a connecting train at Euston after arriving Paddington. In theory time constraint shouldn't be an issue.
bikepacker

Re: Paddington to Euston.

Post by bikepacker »

I am not a London resident but have done a similar trip many times going from Paddington to St Pancras which is close to Euston. It is signposted most of the way with blue cycling signs mainly for Kings Cross but just follow them to Tavistock Square Gardens and turn left Euston is in front of you.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Going in that direction, I ride the direct way, up Praed St then Marylebone Rd. The Marylebone Road might look alarming on paper, being a dual carriageway trunk road, but there is a bus/cycle/taxi lane almost all the way along it, and the traffic is often moving pretty well at cycling pace anyway. London bus and 'black cab' drivers are much more skilled that the average car driver and and fully accustomed to mingling with cyclists, so while the Marylebone Rd is noisy and smelly, it is usually safe.

If you want a break from the bustle, about half way between the stations turn left into Regents Park soon after passing Baker Street underground station.

I do that run from Paddington to Euston or Kings Cross two or three times a year, usually carrying a camping load.

Going the other way there is a fairly handy backstreet route, but one-way streets make it too complicated to be worthwhile IMO when going eastward.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

benvrackie wrote:Can any experienced London Cycle Commuters recommend a safe route for someone with a fully loaded touring bike and zero experience of riding in London. I've got to get a connecting train at Euston after arriving Paddington. In theory time constraint shouldn't be an issue.

Use this and enter Paddington as the start and Euston as the end. https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

The route shown is the one I use. This link may also work https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/results?JpType=cycling&InputFrom=Paddington&FromId=1000174&InputTo=Euston&ToId=1000077&SavePreferences=true

Bear in mind that central London is full of demolition and construction works and this can mean temporary road closures. I strongly recommend some sort of street map or digital navigation. Central London is actually quite good for cycling (relative to other cities) due to the high volume of cyclists. Beware of construction traffic.
mjr

Post by mjr »

jgurney wrote:Going in that direction, I ride the direct way, up Praed St then Marylebone Rd. The Marylebone Road might look alarming on paper, being a dual carriageway trunk road, but there is a bus/cycle/taxi lane almost all the way along it, and the traffic is often moving pretty well at cycling pace anyway. London bus and 'black cab' drivers are much more skilled that the average car driver and and fully accustomed to mingling with cyclists, so while the Marylebone Rd is noisy and smelly, it is usually safe. [...]

Going the other way there is a fairly handy backstreet route, but one-way streets make it too complicated to be worthwhile IMO when going eastward.

http://cycle.travel/map/journey/20785 - it is more complicated eastbound but still better than the polluted hell and aggressive taxis on the main road IMO. I'd only go the main road if really pushed for time. I expect it's safe but it's pretty nasty.

I turn left at Gordon Square because it's quieter and easier to recognise as it's just after the shared-space-y S curve.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Lots of variations, it seems. I did Kings Cross to Paddington recently, which is similar, and used CycleStreets - good route most of the way.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Similar to MJR's I'd suggest this route: https://cycle.travel/map/journey/57773.

I regularly ride the stretch east of Connaught Square as part of a weekend circular ride to Hyde Park, and have decided this is the best route east. Once you leave Wigmore St at Cavendish Square you are on quiet roads, then after you enter Camden (East of Cleveland St) there is a segregated bike path almost all of the way to Euston. The blip around Chandos Street/Duchess Street saves you a difficult right turn from the dual-carriageway Portland Place.

Personally I'd never ride the Marylebone Road unless it's very early in the morning. late at night or Christmas Day. There is a bus lane most of the way but it's not fun being surrounded by so much traffic.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Wigmore St is pretty busy in the week and may soon get Oxford Street's buses.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
benvrackie

Post by benvrackie »

Thanks to everyone who responded, all very helpful.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Another vote for it being fine. Rode St Pancras to Paddington lay year. Took it nice and easy along some roads parallel and to the South of marylebone road. Was all easy, only problem was pi**ing off the cycle couriers coz i stopped at red lights!