One gear, 100 miles a day, across the continent

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
KTHSullivan

Re: One gear, 100 miles a day, across the continent

Post by KTHSullivan »

Without repetition :o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mornington_Crescent_(game)#/media/File:MorningtonCrescent_roundel.jpg

:wink:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Username

Post by Username »

NUKe wrote:Are you fit?what mileage have you ridden fixed . And how light do really want to travel, but yes it is do able,even if you have to walk the odd hill

Do able! Landing on a moon of Saturn proved do able, for OP's planned adventure I have doubts.
hamster

Post by hamster »

As a dedicated singlespeeder I think that much is possible. My question is whether is will be fun. 100 miles per day leaves you little time to see much of what you travel through, while sleeping at roadsides will leave you with worse rest than campsites or B&Bs. Touring with any load requires lower gears, while doing big distances day after day is fatiguing. You need to factor in some rest days.
If you consider it solely to be an athletic challenge, then fine. If you have broader goals, think a bit more.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100 miles, maybe 7 hours riding time, leaves plenty of time to relax, meet people, visit churches and museums etc
Germany/Europe is quite developed, one has lots of options, this is not crazy or "dangerous" like cycling in Africa, over time one soon gets fitter
I would upgrade to 100 km a day on fixed and stay in one place, changes in the weather are enough excitement for me
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pj76 wrote:I ride fixed a lot, usually most winters, and it includes hills.

I also wrote a book once about a certain breed of people who ride fast uphill on fixed.

For longer tours it's doable, but it's certainly going to be less enjoyable, especially with this kind of mileage. It's really nice to be able freewheel downhill. Especially on longer rides. You feel like you're resting, pacing yourself for the accumulated effort over time that touring entails. It leads to less wear and tear on the body.

It does seem like one of those ideas that came out of a desire to do something a bit different, without thinking why it is that people don't do this type of different thing, i.e because it's a really rubbish idea.

What book was that please?
I really want to know how Granville Sydney and his successors warmed up before a hill climb!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Germany/Europe is quite developed

And there was me thinking that they all lived in wooden huts and used oxen for transport! Next you'll be telling us that some of them ride bikes and can drive cars - I refuse to believe any more of this blatant story telling! :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Germany/Europe is quite developed

And there was me thinking that they all lived in wooden huts and used oxen for transport! Next you'll be telling us that some of them ride bikes and can drive cars - I refuse to believe any more of this blatant story telling! :lol:

I know you are not a littleEnglaender, but try telling people who have never been there that there are double-decker trains in Germany :wink:
They originated in the DDR of course and are ubiquitous now
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Username wrote:
NUKe wrote:Are you fit?what mileage have you ridden fixed . And how light do really want to travel, but yes it is do able,even if you have to walk the odd hill

Do able! Landing on a moon of Saturn proved do able, for OP's planned adventure I have doubts.

Why does everybody always judge people by their own standards/limitations. Some people like the challenge, 100 miles a day is quite possible Fixie is largely irrelevant if you choose the right gear, Hence my question to the OP how much have they ridden and what is his fitness level. It was the start of a dialog not a set in stone answer.

Riding a bike for some is a means to end, touring has to be pleasurable its about the places you visit, and then for some the Challenge of the long day in the saddle and covering the distance.
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NUKe wrote:
Username wrote:

Why does everybody always judge people by their own standards/limitations?

+1!
horizon

Post by horizon »

NUKe wrote:
Why does everybody always judge people by their own standards/limitations.

Fixed Wheel wrote:

Tell me what you think.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Username

Post by Username »

NUKe wrote:
Username wrote:

Why does everybody always judge people by their own standards/limitations
. Some people like the challenge, 100 miles a day is quite possible Fixie is largely irrelevant if you choose the right gear, Hence my question to the OP how much have they ridden and what is his fitness level. It was the start of a dialog not a set in stone answer.

Riding a bike for some is a means to end, touring has to be pleasurable its about the places you visit, and then for some the Challenge of the long day in the saddle and covering the distance.

My standards and limitations have nothing to do with it. The challenge OP is proposing sounds OTT. It would take an exceptional person to complete it. Maybe he is the exception, who knows.

A fixie is relevant in some way because over varied terrain, you will often have an inappropriate gear which makes things more difficult.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm reminded of a reply to a query addressed to CJ, possibly pre-forum in the CTC mag. Somebody asked whether some scheme they had was feasible and he replied on the lines of "If you have to ask, then "NO"" and that may be relevant here. This project is doable, but success is most likely for a rider approaching it with experience of touring, ultra lightweight camping, and riding longer distances on fixed wheel.
brumster

Post by brumster »

How did cyclists manage to "tour" before the advent of gears ?( on worse road surfaces too. )
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote: This project is doable, but success is most likely for a rider approaching it with experience of touring, ultra lightweight camping, and riding longer distances on fixed wheel.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

brumster wrote:How did cyclists manage to "tour" before the advent of gears ?( on worse road surfaces too. )

By cycling less than 100 miles a day and staying in posh hotels.