Boxing a bike for air travel

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Boxing a bike for air travel

Post by Woodtourer »

We will be flying to Heathrow this Summer to start our European Tour. I have been posting on some of our sites here about the above subject. Today I had the idea of using some light weight vinyl on the cardboard bike box exterior to help prevent damage to the cardboard while in transit.
Wondering if you guys "across the pond" might offer up your suggestions to boxing????
Thanks!
foxyrider

Re: Boxing a bike for air travel

Post by foxyrider »

Given the way most baggage handlers treat large items of luggage it can't hurt. A couple of wraps with reinforced tape (duct tape or similar) can help keep things together too. Try to use the smallest, good strong and fresh box you can, use pipe lagging on the frame, strap wheels to the frame (i've used plastic food wrap to do this) - what you don't want is anything in the box able to move around.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

When I prepare for taking my bike on a aeroplane using either the box method or the polythene bag method, I fit a strong baggage strap around the middle of the package to give those "caring gentlemen" of the baggage handling department something by which to lift it, hopefully to prevent them tearing open the packaging.
Rob
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've flown lots of times with a cardboard box and never had a problem. I think reports of disasters are vastly overstated.

If you want a really tough box go for an electric bike one. They have much thicker cardoard, but are of course heavier and larger.

I'd be careful with anything that can catch on automated baggage systems eg wrapping, etc.

If you identify where the wear points on the box will be, eg where wheel axle rubs, you can insert pieces of plastic between bit and box. I use cut up plastic milk containers for this.

Double check the bottom of the box is secure and not damaged. It's easy to overlook as normally it's only the top that is opened.
whoof

Post by whoof »

simonhill wrote:If you identify where the wear points on the box will be, eg where wheel axle rubs, you can insert pieces of plastic between bit and box. I use cut up plastic milk containers for this.

When new bikes are delivery they often have plastic covers for the ends of the wheel axles. These are disks around 5 cm in diameter with a spike in the back that you insert into the axle.

wheelend.jpg

If you are getting a cardboard bike box from a bike shop ask if they have any of these and some plastic spacers for the fork/rear triangle.

I also tend have the rear wheel facing inwards with some bubble wrap around the cassette to stop it scratching the frame. It's a good idea to take off your rear mech especially if you have a replaceable hanger.

As above I've flown with my bike many times and if you include all of the others I've travelled with in groups it added up to hundreds of journeys I can't recall a single incident where there has been any damage other than a lost bar end plug or a brake lever moved around a bit (both of these when using bags). Not saying it doesn't happen just not very often.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The last few times I've travelled, I put my bike in a large polythene bag. I left the wheels on.

You can get that sort of thing from mattress stores. They will probably let you have one for free. There are a couple of threads about this sort of thing, and Cycling UK sell them, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=96686
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=67410 (somewhat dated with regard to airlines, but other information is good)
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=76731
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Thanks for your replies!!!
One other "challenge" is TSA. No matter how well taped your box is they open it for inspection and the TSA tape they use is ,in my opinion, a bit flimsy.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Meant to say that I use a rear gear protector on my bike. It's one of those old cage type things that MTBs had in their early days. It protects the derailleur if any weight is put on it. I know that it has often done its duty because it is bent in a bit. No problem straightening it, just pull it out.

I don't know why more people don't use them.

Someone talked about turning their rear wheel in - I always leave mine in situ. Front wheel off, turn forks if necessary.

Note that there are different size boxes and it's worth checking if the airline has max dimensions, l+w+h. It's usually 230 cms. I've used the 130 length (bit tight), 140 (about perfect) and 150 (pretty big) boxes.

NB poster asked about boxes, which are accepted by all airlines. Many will not take unless boxed.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Woodtourer wrote:Thanks for your replies!!!
One other "challenge" is TSA. No matter how well taped your box is they open it for inspection and the TSA tape they use is ,in my opinion, a bit flimsy.

If you put it in a clear plastic bag that they can see through, they don't need to open it.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

The only significant damage I've had taking a bike on a plane was a dented down-tube and broken rack mounts. Nowadays I've learned my lesson and use pipe lagging on the tubes and remove the rack from its mountings. I also unbolt the rear mech and attach it with a cable tie to the chainstay, take the bars and stem off and tie them to the crossbar and remove the seat. So far, so good.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

simonhill wrote:I've flown lots of times with a cardboard box and never had a problem. I think reports of disasters are vastly overstated.

If you want a really tough box go for an electric bike one. They have much thicker cardoard, but are of course heavier and larger.

I'd be careful with anything that can catch on automated baggage systems eg wrapping, etc.

If you identify where the wear points on the box will be, eg where wheel axle rubs, you can insert pieces of plastic between bit and box. I use cut up plastic milk containers for this.

Double check the bottom of the box is secure and not damaged. It's easy to overlook as normally it's only the top that is opened.
I second all this having flown Seattle to LHR, Manchester even Bergen and back half a dozen times. I have worked on baggage handling systems (at SEA) and can tell you they are brutal. I don't advise improvising straps in fact DO NOT have anything hanging off, your box could be ripped apart in an instant. straps can get caught in what they call diverters clogging up the whole system and someone has to unclog it while all the other bags back up behind, not conducive to getting your box handled with TLC I do reinforce the carrying holes in the bike box with duct tape
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

:arrow: I'm just about to box my bike here in Addis Ababa ready to fly back to Edinburgh via Istanbul.
Using Turkish airlines.
Used them x3 times before.
Plenty of foam padding.
Never deflated tires. Never been asked weight.
£70 extra each way.
Damaged forks once. Partly due to me not packing properly.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Mattress bag!
Just saw this idea in another touring forum and they come in different mil thickness's.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

If the Airline that you're flying with requires you to Box the Bicycle for flight, this YouTube clip is worth watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiJ48RCu9T8&t=68s

I take it a step further and remove the chain (quicklink) and I also remove the rear Derailleur, wrap in bubble wrap and take as either carry on or checked in.

I wrap most of the main frame tubes in either bubble wrap or foam tubing from my sisters furniture store.

Works a charm every time :)
hamster

Post by hamster »

US carriers seem to be a bit less tolerant of packing different from boxes in my experience. I've got out of it by the 'you carried it here like this' argument, but not so useful if it's your outward leg...

I'm a convert to dedicated padded bike bags now. Typically I unpack the bike in the airport and leave the bag at left luggage, although in the bag it's accepted by National Express coaches. I am lucky enough to have them go direct from my home town to LHR and LGW.