Merry-go-round:An around the world social cycling initiative

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
lokodizsolt

Merry-go-round:An around the world social cycling initiative

Post by lokodizsolt »

A number of years now I have contemplated the idea of cycling around the world. I kept putting it off for this or that reason, not enough money, too much planning, logistical hindrances, a delay in future career choices and so on. Then I realised that there’s another way.
One, that is called social cycling. The core concept is the same, cycling across all continents of the world, but with some modifications. I would try to achieve this goal by relying on the support of hundreds or even thousands of people. Because there’s power in unity. And involving as many people in this endeavour and presenting it as a common achievement comes almost as an equal reward for everyone. Wherever you cycle, especially in the developed areas of the world, there are cycle clubs and fellow cycling enthusiasts. Many people would be willing to cycle a leg or two of a great journey. A series of micro adventures would constitute one truly grand adventure (I’m quoting Alastair Humphreys here somewhat). Working on the details of such a trip seems extremely overwhelming. But then again, there are always people who are willing to help with something, fundraising, sponsorship, organising logistical details, networking, updating social media platforms, outreach , media, filming, photography, creative writing etcetera. People from various corporate backgrounds would want to do a leg or two to promote their companies. As far as I’m aware and correct me if I’m wrong, something like this hasn’t been attempted before. So some adventurous and committed people could step forward and go all the way; this would constitute the core group of cycle tourers. Those willing to cycle for the various legs of the journey can fundraise for various causes and organisations, or just do it for fun. Those who don’t feel like cycling but still want to get involved could offer their professional support.
Besides the primary goal that is a grand around the world cycle journey, there’s also a secondary objective. That is visiting undeveloped and impoverished areas of the world and raising funds to support and encourage schoolchildren to cycle. This would require donations, and what better donation is there than a brand new or even a second hand bicycle! And what better reward there is then to see a group of smiling children cycling together. (Cycling and social inclusion)
I consider this cycle journey as a catalyst for a larger movement promoting health, travel and the involvement of local cultures.
So everyone out there who’s a keen cyclist, please help me with your ideas, advices, thought processes. Challenge my idea from left and right. But remember, that the emphasis is not on the problem, it’s on the solution.
Suggestions for names for this project are very welcome. An online platform is necessary, and so is a rock solid website (these will follow soon after most ideas are thoroughly hammered out).
I have also considered a trial run, where a group of like minded individuals would popularise the concept by say cycling from London to Paris on a weekend.
Looking forward to all the replies!
(You can also contact me on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/lokodizsolt)