Cape Wrath

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tempsperdu

Cape Wrath

Post by tempsperdu »

I keep seeing references to a path south from Cape Wrath to Sandwood bay.
OS do not show a path and walker reports say there is no path just have to pick your way.
Aside from it being a firing range is this doable with a bike and is it worth it or just a death march?
Planning on going north by the conventional route off road but dislike returning by the same route and Sandwood bay is on my list.
Thinking of May/June time.
misterrea

Re: Cape Wrath

Post by misterrea »

i walked this area a couple of years ago the firing range has red flags to show use , but as to path not really you just pick your best way south
or towards the bothys some paths near and south of sandlewood bay
tempsperdu

Post by tempsperdu »

but as to path not really you just pick your best way south

Is it a bogfest or easy going?
The gpx I have shows the 'path' making detours inland to cross some of the streams and OS shows these as quite steep sided in places.
misterrea

Post by misterrea »

a little boggy can be avoided , but you are walking through heather with no path as such,if two sheep have followed each other thats your path and it will disappear. So gps or compass for general heading picking a way for eight to nine kilometres
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I met a guy near CW who had come from Sandwood Bay on a MTB. He was wet through and the bike caked in mud from having to go through bogs. He said it was something he would never attempt again.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
BruceJ

Post by BruceJ »

Nicholas Fairweather describes how he walked from Sandwood Bay to Cape Wrath with his bicycle in the book "Coasting around Scotland". It was not easy!!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have a memory, possibly faulty, that Nick Crane did this walk in one of Coast programmes. But there was of course a lack of detail and he didn't have a bike with him. Leave the bike somewhere and just walk it?
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would retrace the same way, that is easy, the views are quite different and one knows the way
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

Sweep wrote:I have a memory, possibly faulty, that Nick Crane did this walk in one of Coast programmes. But there was of course a lack of detail and he didn't have a bike with him. Leave the bike somewhere and just walk it?

No bike involved. He went by vehicle to the lighthouse and then walked to Sandalwood Bay from there. I cycled Dover to Cape Wrath in 2013.