CTC Bag???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

CTC Bag???

Post by Woodtourer »

Being in the US I thought maybe one of you friendly cyclists "across the p" might be able to he!
I see Wiggle carries a CTC plastic bike bag. I am considering these for our next European tour as the airline permits these.
So anyone have any experience with them? Their Customer Service today me they are 2 mm thick plastic.
Any assistance would be great!!
Thanks.
bohrsatom

Re: CTC Bag???

Post by bohrsatom »

Every time I fly with my bike I've used a CTC bag: 5 times in total.

Packing your bike is easy. Drop your saddle. Remove the pedals and put in your hand luggage. Turn the bars parallel to the frame then remove the front wheel and cable tie it to the rear triangle, to protect your derailleur (if you have a small frame you don't need to bother with this step). Pack in the bag with plenty of 'fragile' table.

I like the bag because when not in use it folds up flat and can be stuffed at the bottom of your pannier ready for your return journey. You can also ride direct to the airport and not have to worry about sourcing bike boxes in a foreign country, nor finding a taxi big enough to put the box in.

The downside is there is very little protection from knocks and scratches. During one flight my bike suffered a dent in the downtube, I assume it was mistreated on its way through the airport's baggage system. I now try and mitigate this by covering my tubes with cheap pipe lagging, at least on the way out. If I don't find any for the return journey I'm not too bothered: the way I see it, my holiday's ruined if my bike is damaged on the outbound flight but it's less serious if it happens on the way home.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've only used one once (return trip). I didn't get the CTC bag,but got a similar thing from a bed shop. They use them to wrap the new matresses in. Free on asking.

My bike was OK except that on both out and in journeys the baggage handlers tore the bag open to get at my valves to let all the air out of the tyres, despite airline not requiring it.

Also, beware of putting anything 'unusual' in your hand luggage. Some security people see danger in all sorts of things.

Enjoy.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

you can get exactly the same plastic sheeting at a DIY store, you need something reasonably thick. i've used this sort of thing loads of times, it works well. if you want you can use the plastic and then put the bike inside a box- airport staff seem to like boxes more than plastic bags - and dump the cardboard at the airport. but you don't need to do that.
i prefer to remove the handlebars and cable tie them to the frame then drop out the entire front fork assembly and cable tie that, with the wheel in the forks, to the side of the frame. Remember to mark the seat post before you drop the saddle, so you can return it to the identical position when you rebuild the bike. i do this to protect the forks against being squashed together, and by placing the wheels pretty much together i think one reduces the chance of the wheels being damaged.
there are loads of threads on this subject on here.
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

My idea was to leave the front wheel in place . As this would protect the fork, rack ,and fender.
gharwo

Post by gharwo »

We used them on Virgin to Boston. Front wheel left in place, handlebars turned, saddle dropped and pedals refitted inside the cranks (protect frame from knocks though). Usual story about tyre pressures - best to deflate to obvious low level to prevent unwanted intervention. Take bottles off or anything else that might attract further poking around by security. Mine suffered one dent and scratch to the saddle - possibly dropped off a baggage truck. On return had the bag slashed and taped - not sure what they were looking for.

My theory would be that being in transparent bags, it is obvious what it is an they might take more care - reality is baggage handlers throw stuff around, which is one reason I prefer not to fly for short-haul.

Enjoy
/P
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Lower seat, take pedals off and put them in from the opposite side (may need to tie them up to stop them bashing frame), turn or remove handlebars to protect brake levers and shifters as appropriate (drop bars turn and then rotate under cross bar, flat bars remove) and finally disconnect rear mech for protection (pack in bubble wrap and tape to frame). Wheel into bag, seal bag up, opening first. There may be excess bag which can be cut off. Leave a loop of secure tape or whatever for the luggage label to thread through (I usually do this on the mech side)
boblo

Post by boblo »

I use them for both solo and tandem touring (2 taped together).

I pack my frames in pipe lagging to avoid damage, turn bars, remove pedals and partially deflate the tyres. I usually save the bags for the return journey to save faff at my final destination.

AIUI, some airlines are now questioning the validity of the 'bike bag' claim. I carry a screenshot of the Wiggle page which says they are. Obviously if the check in staff don't wish to accept this, you'll have sort it out before you can fly.
Raleigh Steve

Post by Raleigh Steve »

I used one last year. Flew from
Bristol to Geneva with easyJet no bother. Saddle out, bars removed and tucked under top tube, pedals off.

Stashed the bag in left luggage in airport.

Back 3 days later and same routine. Check in at Geneva was difficult. They wanted bike in a box. I eventually persuaded them. Then at Bristol I saw the bike being roughly (not drastically) handled. The top of the seat lug was slightly bent. Would have been better to leave the seat in.

For me the main advantage was I could leave the wheels in, which protects frame and mudguards.