What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:One of the common methods is for a moped passenger to lift off the panniers whilst the bike is in motion.

If it is attached by a wire, clip or otherwise secured, then you will find the rear of the bike being dragged sideways and you will be off.

And aren't you going to get dragged sideways anyway if the thief doesn't lift perfectly vertically? So your choice may only be between off and still having your bag; and off and losing your bag. If they do lift perfectly vertically, they're probably not going to lift half the weight of you+bike+kit, so the effect will mainly be the back end going a bit light until they lose their grip.

So what's the suggested solution? Just make sure the handles are safely stowed inside the flap or tucked between bag and rack (depending on design) so that there's nothing to grab to lift?

Or tie panniers or saddlebags down with cam-buckle straps? They might loosen them, but I'm sure I'd notice a moped futzing with my bag before they got both straps off and then the bag unhooked.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
CyclingTerrier

Re: What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Post by CyclingTerrier »

Other than keeping valuables in one place and having it on you at all times, the best way to minimise theft is where you leave your gear.

Going out? Keep it in your hotel room/tent.

Having lunch? Eat outside or by a window where you can keep your bike in sight.

Shopping for dinner? Pick a shop with a big old window you can lock it up against or shop somewhere rural with the chances of theft are lessened.

In my experience, most thefts, bike related or not, are highly opportunistic. Minimising this opportunism is easily achieved through choosing where you leave your bike properly.