What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
LiamOfBrum

What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Post by LiamOfBrum »

Me and a few friends are doing a 9 week tour around Europe in June. It will be our first tour and we've thought of a potential problem that we can't seem to think of a solution to.

When we get into cities and towns and we want to go into a bar or a pub or something like that, we risk leaving all of our gear on our panniers where they could easily get stolen, even if we lock our bikes up. Carrying our stuff into a bar wouldn't be too bad but if we want to go to a museum or something we really wouldn't be able to carry all of our gear around.

Does anyone know of any helpful solutions to this?

Thanks in advance
jgurney

Re: What to do with panniers and kit when touring?

Post by jgurney »

LiamOfBrum wrote: When we get into cities and towns and we want to go into a bar or a pub or something like that, we risk leaving all of our gear on our panniers where they could easily get stolen, even if we lock our bikes up. Carrying our stuff into a bar wouldn't be too bad but if we want to go to a museum or something we really wouldn't be able to carry all of our gear around.

Does anyone know of any helpful solutions to this?

In June the bar & cafe issue isn't much of a problem, unless you get bad weather. You sit outside where you can see the parked bikes.

Longer visits like museums during the day are a problem. All I can suggest is that you try to plan so you put your overnight stops at places where there are museums, etc, that you know you want to visit, then you go there while your kit is safe in your accommodation. In the case of cities, it might make sense to plan a stop of two or three days in the more interesting ones, so you can get around them without all the gear. You could even sometimes leave the bikes at the accommodation as well and use local public transport to any places where you don't fancy leaving the bikes parked outside in the street.
horizon

Post by horizon »

It's amazing how adept you do become at solving this problem. All that jgurney has suggested but there will also be many quiet places too where your bikes will be in full view of a reception desk, a window or an elderly couple having a long coffee. Just ignore the bike parking places (usually tucked away).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

What others have said!

In addition many museums will have luggage lockers - often free but sometimes a small charge. Others will allow you to leave bags at the reception area.

I try to avoid city centre stops with all the bags on board - sometimes it means missing stuff but you generally get a 'feel' for places - are the locals leaving bags on bikes, even locking their steeds?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Most people who cycle tour don't go to lots of large cities. The city to city thing is very much the backpackers way.

If there are some cities en route that you want to do touristy stuff in, then as said above, get accommodation, leave bike and gear and use public transport. A friend had her bike nicked outside The Louvre while she was inside. Crazy when there's a good metro system.

As you are a group, bars and shops are much easier as one can guard while others inside, then bring drinks, etc outside.

Basically you need to think of like a cycle tourist when you are on your bike. For those times when you want to be normal tourist, dump your bike.

Enjoy
mjr

Post by mjr »

simonhill wrote:Basically you need to think of like a cycle tourist when you are on your bike. For those times when you want to be normal tourist, dump your bike.

In London, I have occasionally left my bike in my cheap hotel room and used hire bikes to get around when I didn't want to lock up near what I was visiting. This may be an option in more and more cities with Velib-style bikes and all the dockless ones.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Train stations often have left luggage lockers, charge a few €
Libraries and museums have lockers, might be a bit small, deposit €1, returnable
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

We’ve done quite a lot of this. Some things are obvious; be careful where you leave the bikes. City centres aren’t good but small villages are generally ok. If you are camping, lock it to a tree, and if possible chain the wheels and the expensive saddle.

If you have to leave panniers on the bike, follow the above rules. You can then get cables and locks to attach the panniers to the bike (Ortlieb sell them.) Although they won’t stop a determined thief, they will stop an opportunist. And not many people carry bolt cutters around museums!

Finally, if it all goes pear shaped, make sure you have good insurance on the bike and possessions covering the country you are travelling in.

Cheers

Terry
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Quite obvious but worth repeating
Keep a small rucksack or body bag with you at all times (passport, visa, cash, keys, tickets etc)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

TerryField wrote:
You can then get cables and locks to attach the panniers to the bike (Ortlieb sell them.) Although they won’t stop a determined thief, they will stop an opportunist. And not many people carry bolt cutters around museums!
Terry

Actually the locks are pretty pathetic. Never mind the determined thief, I doubt they would stop a 5 year old with a decent pair of scissors. utter rubbish in my opinion.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Most UK Town centres have a Wilko, or a supermarket with a cafe. And they have trolley lockers - just unload your kit into one, lock your bike outside and go get pissed or take in the culture.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Of course the most important thing is to not let 'security' spoil your trip. Theft is unfortunately a fact of life, take reasonable precautions of course (don't leave comps, pumps, bottles etc on unattended bikes) keep your valuables (wallet, passport, camera, medication etc) on your person and enjoy yourselves.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

It's a good idea using Supermarket trolley locks, lockers etc, but if touring in smaller places, off the beaten track, or outside Western countries that's not always feasible. Plus many smaller shops don't even have trolley's (only hand baskets) In my case I am taking the approach below. This may not suit everyone, however I have had so many things stolen over the years and know so many other people who have also been victims. I think it's better to be as prepared as you can.

1) I have decided to bolt the panniers to the rack. I am using some metal plate and u bolts with rubber washers to seal the rain.
2) I have a small rucksack in one of the panniers with my valuables. This comes with me whenever I leave the bike.
3) Make sure you buy lights that quickly clip off the bike and also take your pump etc with you.
4) Reluctantly I have had to make compromises. I have a few thousand pounds of camping equipment, but after careful consideration I don't dare take it on a cycling tour. This means I only pack a cheap sleeping bag / tent and cheap fleeces. If these get stolen the financial loss is negligible. You can also write on your cheap stuff with pen so that it makes it even less desirable.
5) Make sure you get 2 decent locks for the front and back. In my opinion it's only worth buying sold secure gold rating locks (D lock or chains). Don't touch cable locks in a million years. Also don't rely solely on security fasteners, as I have seen a lot of ways to defeat these with hand tools. You want to make sure the only way to steal your bike is with power tools / hydraulic cutters. Yes they could cut through the frame, but damaging the bike will defeat the purpose of a lot of thefts. They could also pick the lock, but that takes a lot of skill on some of the higher security locks.
6) Make sure any expensive items on the bike (decent saddles etc) have security fasteners. In the case of saddles you could even chain them to the bike for extra security.

Other security options:
7) You can get removable pedals for the bike, which make it less appealing for a ride away theft.

8) There are GPS tracking options. Some of them warn you via a smartphone app if a thief tries to move / rock your bike. So you may even be able to get there before the theft takes place.
9) You could consider a decent insurance policy, but in my opinion that is defeatist. People need to start fighting back against these scumbags.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tommydog wrote:It's a good idea using Supermarket trolley locks, lockers etc, but if touring in smaller places, off the beaten track, or outside Western countries that's not always feasible. Plus many smaller shops don't even have trolley's (only hand baskets) In my case I am taking the approach below. This may not suit everyone, however I have had so many things stolen over the years and know so many other people who have also been victims. I think it's better to be as prepared as you can.

1) I have decided to bolt the panniers to the rack. I am using some metal plate and u bolts with rubber washers to seal the rain.
2) I have a small rucksack in one of the panniers with my valuables. This comes with me whenever I leave the bike.
3) Make sure you buy lights that quickly clip off the bike and also take your pump etc with you.
4) Reluctantly I have had to make compromises. I have a few thousand pounds of camping equipment, but after careful consideration I don't dare take it on a cycling tour. This means I only pack a cheap sleeping bag / tent and cheap fleeces. If these get stolen the financial loss is negligible. You can also write on your cheap stuff with pen so that it makes it even less desirable.
5) Make sure you get 2 decent locks for the front and back. In my opinion it's only worth buying sold secure gold rating locks (D lock or chains). Don't touch cable locks in a million years. Also don't rely solely on security fasteners, as I have seen a lot of ways to defeat these with hand tools. You want to make sure the only way to steal your bike is with power tools / hydraulic cutters. Yes they could cut through the frame, but damaging the bike will defeat the purpose of a lot of thefts. They could also pick the lock, but that takes a lot of skill on some of the higher security locks.
6) Make sure any expensive items on the bike (decent saddles etc) have security fasteners. In the case of saddles you could even chain them to the bike for extra security.

Other security options:
7) You can get removable pedals for the bike, which make it less appealing for a ride away theft.

8) There are GPS tracking options. Some of them warn you via a smartphone app if a thief tries to move / rock your bike. So you may even be able to get there before the theft takes place.
9) You could consider a decent insurance policy, but in my opinion that is defeatist. People need to start fighting back against these scumbags.

I guess you are a bit paranoid!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I tend to just take in the ambience and local character of cities and towns when cycle touring, and slightly reluctantly go past the museums and art galleries, largely because I know I'd just worry about my 'stuff', but also because I like to keep moving. A couple of times I've liked the look of the museums and art galleries a city so much that I've gone back there later in the year without my bike and tent but with my mum!
Not a solution practicable to all!
My other solution is to tour by Brompton. I stay at youth hostels so I can leave the bike and my gear there and explore the town.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin