Flying with a small and light folded bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
papaformigas

Re: Flying with a small and light folded bike

Post by papaformigas »

Is it possible to take up in the cabin the folded bike inside of a bag dismantled? will it pass the xray area? i dont know the bike have some sharp areas and i beleive they dont allow sharp objects...

Anyone know a bag that is allowed in the cabin with the max dimensions?

Would be nice a soft-hard case.

If anyone know please send me a link where i can get one.
Warin61

Re: Flying with a small and light folded bike on Ryanair

Post by Warin61 »

READ my previous post! You can see that the wheels look like they maybe beyond the maximum dimensions.
I can do no more than repeat myself.

Warin61 wrote:Google: Ryanair cabin luggage size gets
https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-in ... an-I-carry

one bag: 35cm x 20cm x 20cm limit
second bag: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm 10kg limit

16" = 40.6 cm so it is going close to their 40cm limit. And it is over their 10kg limit.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

On Wednesday in Palma, Ryanair only allowed those who had paid the premium to take their cabin bag on board. All the rest went in the hold. There was no 90 limit. Most of the overhead lockers were pretty empty. Doesn't bother me, as by the time you have got through passport control at Manchester your bag has been circling the carousel for a while. Anyway I thought the OP was now going to check his bike in in cases?
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Bigjim, sounds just like the old days when all but smallest bags went in the hold as part of the ticket price. Personally I hope other airlines follow suit
papaformigas

Post by papaformigas »

Ok

The bike folded measures:

71x52x38cm...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Everyone criticises airlines like Ryanair, but sometimes you have to sympathise.

This bIke is clearly too big for handluggage, it is clearly too heavy for hand luggage and it almost certainly wouldn't get through security.

The rules are clearly laid out on the website. Nonetheless poster after poster seemed to ignore this. I refer you to my first post, which was the first reply. I do note that there were others who also made the points.

Put it in a big cardboard box or suitcase that is within the normal baggage limits, pay the fee and off you go
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

HarryD wrote:Bigjim, sounds just like the old days when all but smallest bags went in the hold as part of the ticket price. Personally I hope other airlines follow suit

Doesn't seem so long ago that my bike went in the hold as part of the ticket price.
papaformigas

Post by papaformigas »

Ok if I put my bag on hold will I have to pay any fee? Does my ticked include a bag or so in the hold? I don't understand I am affraid. Can't I put the bike on hold and not pay the bike charge? No one knows it's a bike or bike parts...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm no Ryanair expert, but I have just read their website.

We have established that you cannot take your bike as carry on luggage. This means you will need to check it in as hold luggage. I suggest you pack it so it doesn't look like a bike. Maybe put it in an old suitcase (bought from charity shop) or in a cardboard box. You can also put in clothes, toiletries, etc. Max weight is 20kg.

Your ticket does not include any checked baggage unless specifically bought.

Have you already booked your ticket?

If so, then you will need to go online and buy a piece of checked baggage for £40.

If you haven't bought your ticket, make sure you buy your checked baggage at the same time as ticket as it only costs £25.

As I said, I'm no Ryanair expert, so anyone disagree
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Have flown with Ryanair & others on numerous occasions with Brompton in a square shaped suitcase.
Obviously you pay extra for that, but Brompton front bag is carry on.
If using my heavier Thorn 'Raven ' tourer, then have usually used a heavy gauge polythene bag with extra reinforcement.
papaformigas

Post by papaformigas »

MADE IT!!!
Thank you guys!!

I even made the flight with the bike folded and with inflated tyres.. forgot to deinflate them but hey bike is ok!!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Yes, but how did you take the bike?