Eurovelo 6

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
peterdpusey

Eurovelo 6

Post by peterdpusey »

May time I am going to be heading off on my bike (Thorn Raven tour) from the Isle of Wight to St Malo cycle across Brittany to Nantes and then the entire length of Eurovelo 6 through to Constanta on the Black Sea. I intend to camp most of the way.

Apart from cycling I am looking for ideas on how to get back from Constanta is it possible to boat/train it back across Europe, is there a coach bus service which takes bikes, or if I am flying where is best to fly from? Any ideas welcome. (Last year I cycled the Atlantic Coast of France down to Bilbao and then from Dunkerque to Prague to meet up with a friend)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by peterdpusey on 5 Mar 2018, 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnonhisbike

Re: Eurovelo 6

Post by johnonhisbike »

We took the train via Bucharest to Sofia and flew Easyjet back to the UK
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Flixbus runs from Bucharest to Cologne and then Cologne to London. Some of their buses have racks for up to 5 bikes. This service is available March to November.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

How was the trip on the ev6. Planning to do that next year.
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

Excellent made it as far as Budapest by then my enthusiasm had wained and the cycle paths which had been really good were disappearing - home was calling. So boxed my bike up and got a plane home, as I had never boxed my bike before and the 5 bicycle shops I visited in Budapest didn’t have a box between them I ended up cobbling together some cardboard was probably the hardest part of the trip! That said I landed at Gatwick my box was first bit of luggage off the plane and I was back on the road within an hour of touch down.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Out of interest, how hilly was the section through Switzerland and on to the Danube (e.g. compared to Loire/Doubs/French Canals bits).

I got to Switzerland as the heatwave was on and decided to head down the Rhine rather than through what was probably a hilly section. I'd asked several cyclists from southern Germany and from Switzerland and whilst none had actually dne that section they all said "hilly (it's Switzerland)".

Must confess costs discouraged me a bit (the Swiss cyclists were saying the biggest surprise I'd get in Switzerland would be the prices) - though being realistic it would only have been a few days until back into Germany (by my estimates).

Ian
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

Psamathe wrote:... how hilly was the section through Switzerland and on to the Danube (e.g. compared to Loire/Doubs/French Canals bits)...

... basically flat everywhere with perhaps just one exception between Shaffausen (CH) and Donaueschingen (D).

peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

It took me one day to cycle over the hills if I remember right, certainly in my low gears - though I don’t remember ever having to get off the bike and push as I had to in Devon and Cornwall when doing Lejog. The countryside was beautiful, and I loved the place. It was marginally more expensive but I was camping so over all in the great scheme of things I didn’t notice it, just loved the cleanliness the attention to detail the countryside and the people, will definitely go back there.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

peterdpusey wrote:, just loved the cleanliness the attention to detail

Attention to detail?
Sweep
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

Sweep wrote:

Attention to detail?

Just simple things in the French toilets they may just about be clean and you would be lucky if they supplied any loo paper. Just across the border in Switzerland the toilets sparkled and there would be 3 rolls in different gleaming containers. Then I was cycling alongside a railway line and I had to stop and take a photograph of just how well the track had been laid and I am not into railway lines!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

peterdpusey wrote:
Sweep wrote:

Attention to detail?

Just simple things in the French toilets they may just about be clean and you would be lucky if they supplied any loo paper. Just across the border in Switzerland the toilets sparkled and there would be 3 rolls in different gleaming containers. Then I was cycling alongside a railway line and I had to stop and take a photograph of just how well the track had been laid and I am not into railway lines!

mm

Have been to switzerland a couple of times - must say I found that "neatness" kind of unnatural. I well remember as a student looking out of a train window and having the feeling that the cows in the oh so green green neat neat fields had been arranged "just so". I swear I wasn't on drugs.

I also remember as a student meeting up with some folks who had stayed with a swiss couple. They said that when showing them round the local church/cathedral they seemed more enthusiastic about the restored sparkly bits of it than the old original bits.

Not sure it's the most important/endearing thing about a country to be honest.
Sweep