What shoes do you use for long distance touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cunobelin

Re: What shoes do you use for long distance touring?

Post by Cunobelin »

Most of my long distance touring was in February, March and combined with a love of old churches and historic sites that often required a walk across fields or tracks.

My answer was the MT90

bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I have size 12 feet. Due to the space a pair of shoes takes up in my panniers I only want to take one pair with me so for years I've used waterproof walking shoes (with a pair of flip flops to wear around camp). I like that they have stiff soles, are good to use on and off the bike (both in terms of style and performance), and of course are waterproof so no worries if it starts throwing down with rain. The downside is that they are not great in really high temperatures as my feet get hot.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Much of my touring is done in the tropics.

I use HiTec squash shoes on the bike and for travelling. They are light and have a fairly stiff sole. Don't seem too hot for me. For off bike and general use I have a pair of robust sandals. They used to be called trekking sandals when they weighed a ton, but you can now get the style and comfort in reasonable light weight. A bit bulky though.

Trouble with sandals for cycling in hot climates (eg OP to SEA) is that your feet can get sunburnt. Any part of your body that is horizontal will take the full force of the sun. Socks an almost must or smear on the cream (yuk). I wear long sleeve shirt, gloves, etc, would not leave feet exposed.

One other point, although a bit less important nowadays. Some places required shoes to be worn, sandals not accepted. I can think of an Embassy in Hanoi that does. Fortunately the local entrepreneurs hire out shoes to the unknowing.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Shimano SPD shoes for riding and walking and a pair of light flip-flops for wearing around a campsite or a short potter around town.
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I probably spend as much time walking as I do cycling, so I go with walking shoes or boots. I pushed the boat out with my current pair, some mid size Salomons, which are probably the best boots I've ever owned.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

simonhill wrote:Trouble with sandals for cycling in hot climates (eg OP to SEA) is that your feet can get sunburnt.

The tan lines are part of the entertainment
(this was Scotland)
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

5-10 Freeriders. A comfortable shoe, with just enough stiffness for flats. And any colour scheme you want
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
pwa

Post by pwa »

One question I would ask myself when looking at a particular shoe type is "will I be able to get that shoe to dry out after wetting?" Shoes that stay damp inside over several days will go manky. That leads me in one of two directions. The first is towards shoes that are really going to keep rain out, and that I feel I can get the inners to dry out after getting sweaty. The second is the opposite way, with lots of venting and no real attempt to keep rain out, relying on good overnight drying. Either way, I'd have other footwear for the off-bike time. Super lightweight trainers (£35 or thereabouts) meet that need.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

CyclingTerrier wrote:Come end of the monsoon season I'll be setting off on a loop of SE Asia and cannot for the life in me decide what to wear on my feet!
!

Don't forget it will be hot most of the time and won't rain much. In fact if you are lucky you might not see any rain. I've been in SE Asia for nearly 2 months and no serious rain till I went out to a holiday island last week.

I'd avoid anything too boot-ish. Hot heavy overkill.

Edit: Also if the weather does get bad it will only last a day or two and you are better off staying put. Cycling in heavy rain is not just unpleasant, it can be downright dangerous.