Cycling Seasons

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JoeMoran23

Cycling Seasons

Post by JoeMoran23 »

When is best to leave the UK on a 1 year round the world ride.?

Heading East from the UK I will be cycling through Europe, Turkey, India, SE Asia, Australia, NZ and South America.

Does anyone know a perfect month time to leave? When is best to be cycling in these places?

Any other useful tips and tricks is thoroughly appreciated!

Regards,
Joe.
tatanab

Re: Cycling Seasons

Post by tatanab »

Some friends are currently en route. They went much further north than you, through Russia and into China. They left about August I think, with the object of beating the winter across Siberia and so on. They still had it rather cold crossing the Gobi desert. They "wintered" in NZ from where I believe they are about to move on with the plan of crossing Canada after the winter has moved on.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It largely depends on how fast you are going and if your route is direct. For example you could cross India in 2 or 3 months or take a full 6 month visa to explore a bit. Also it appears you are flying some bits (Turkey > India?).

A good way to go about this is start with where it is worst and when, so you must avoid it. On your route that would be Eastern Europe and Turkey in winter for me, but I like it hot. N Central India has wet SW Monsoon as does N SEA. Wet season S of equator is different. Oz has different seasons, can be OK in N and cold in S. You can then work through each region and try and get best fit.

Off the top of my head and depending on your speed, for the first part, I would say leave mid summer. Europe OK, then as you head on, Turkey cooling. India cooling and drying. SEA perfect. You may then hit S Equator SEA in dry season. BUT, as I said, a lot depends on your speed.

Personally I always think checking the weather and particularly the prevailing wind should be your first priority.

Edit: I use AccuWeather for good historical data. Don't just look at monthly averages, drill down to daily detail a few days each month, eg, sunshine hours, rainfall and time of rain.
JoeMoran23

Post by JoeMoran23 »

Thank you Tata and Simon,

Invaluable knowledge!I'll take a look at that link Simon,

Regards,
Joe.
ollyrowe

Post by ollyrowe »

Hi. I'm leaving on a tour heading east from the UK in August. It is very hard to plan a route that will put you in the right countries at the right time, but I've tried to avoid any weather extremes. Our rough plan is - spending 5 months going around Europe (south for winter) and then get to Istanbul at the end of January (Turkey will still be cold), up to Georgia and Armenia in March, Iran in April, Pamir Highway in May/June, China July, Japan August, Indonesia September/November and NZ in December. This will hopefully avoid any extreme cold or monsoons.